strength training doesn’t modify calories?

Options
mikek1286
mikek1286 Posts: 2 Member
Why doesn’t your strength training routine affect your daily calories like cardio does? Or maybe it does and I’m doing something wrong but I see that when I add and exercise like say bench press nothing changes in my calories. Shouldn’t I need to eat more if you have a gym routine?

Answers

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Options
    Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database.

​Alternatively, we have also recently added a new "Workout Routines" feature (only available in English for now) that allows you to build a gym routine from a large database of both strength and cardiovascular exercise that converts strength exercises into a single workout that adds to your diary.

To learn more about Workout Routines please visit this link

For additional information on strength exercises, please reference https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/muscle-matters/.
This discussion has been closed.