One days cal deficit used next day question??

Options
Yesterday I had a BIG calorie burn walk (1398, true burn wore HRM) I had over 1,000 cals left at the end of my day. Today is my no exercise/workout day (rest day). Apart from laundry, dishes and fixing eats I will be doing nothing. Now to the question: Would it be such a big deal if I went over my cals today since I had such a huge deficit yesterday??? Does it all even out in the end??? OR should I just stick with what cals I have today and not go over??

I work out m-f as well and usually burn over 300 cals each day and never go over in cals.

Any opinons appreciated!!

Replies

• camaris
    camaris Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am also very interested to hear any answers :-)
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, even if it isn't from a huge calorie burn. What actually matters is the amount of calories over the week, not the individual day. So it will all even out.

If I eat a little bit extra one day, I will put something on the next day's diary so that I make up for it the next day by eating less, starting off having some food already accounted for instead of a clean slate. Same thing in the opposite situation- I didn't eat much one day but eat more the next day, I'll put something on the day before.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't do this. As I said, it is the week that matters, not the day, so you're perfectly fine.

If you don't feel comfortable eating all the calories back, don't. Don't gorge yourself because you feel the need to eat them. But if you want to have something more tomorrow, do it, and don't feel bad or guilty! You definitely earned it with the crazy workout! LOL ;)
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know on the weight watchers plan, you are allowed to do this, so I don't see why not. Good job on your walk! How long did you have to walk to burn all of those calories? I would like to start walking, but its 100 degrees here!
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    How long did you have to walk to burn all of those calories? I would like to start walking, but its 100 degrees here!

The walk was 3 hours and 38 minutes.. two rest breaks (HRM paused) 1 about 10 min and another about 5 minutes. I would not do it in 100 degree heat. LOL
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    OK thanks to those who replied. I do not plan on going over my cals alot today .. just a couple hundred maybe. No way will I consume an extra 1,000 cals!! My body tends to be hungry after a big calorie burn like that so want to feed it if I feel the need too without feeling guilty.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Really? I always thought it was the opposite, that once the day is over you can only stick with your regular calorie goal for the next day.... interesting, because I burn quite a bit of cals myself in exercise but never end up using them for food. I guess I shouldn't feel so guilty on the days I don't exercise!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a BIG calorie burn walk (1398, true burn wore HRM) I had over 1,000 cals left at the end of my day. Today is my no exercise/workout day (rest day). Apart from laundry, dishes and fixing eats I will be doing nothing. Now to the question: Would it be such a big deal if I went over my cals today since I had such a huge deficit yesterday??? Does it all even out in the end??? OR should I just stick with what cals I have today and not go over??

I work out m-f as well and usually burn over 300 cals each day and never go over in cals.

Any opinons appreciated!!

It evens out in the end and if you are hungry today and want to eat, do so :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking the body doesn't work like that. You can't "bank" calories and use them days later. The next day might be possible somewhat, but it's a slippery slope. I would be very wary of this technique. Usually I tell people, if you have one day where you burn a ton of unexpected calories, that's not going to screw up your body, it takes the body 3 days of greatly reduced calorie consumption to start to make wholesale changes to your metabolism, so going one day low isn't going to do much to you, it can even be used as a technique successfully for some people. But I wouldn't use it as a way to eat more the next day, that can lead to trouble in the long run. Remember, the body burns calories RIGHT NOW. In other words, if you eat more than your body can burn right now, it's going to store the rest as fat, it doesn't have a running tally of how many you should be burning. So if your hourly calorie burn is say 120, and you eat 800 calories worth of food that takes 4 hours to digest, guess what's going to happen to that 320 calories your body couldn't burn, yep, you guessed it, much of it will be stored as body fat.