Exercise Calories

Options
Hi, I’m new and didn’t notice that my exercise calories that I have burned was being added to my daily calories. Is there an option to change that? Or do I just not log my exercise so that it doesn’t get added to my daily calories?
I’m sure of it sure has been asked million times, but I couldn’t find it. Thanks

Replies

• steno357
    steno357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Never mind-found it. Got a way around it.😁
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    Options
    If you're targeting fast weight loss, then getting a good lot of exercise (duration or intensity) in addition, not eating any of those exercise calories is not a good idea. It's like putting 10 gallons of gas in your car, to go a distance that requires 20 gallons. The trip is unlikely to end well, unfortunately.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The only reason to add your exercise calories on MFP is to adjust the math so it will tell you to eat them. If you don't want it to do that, don't add them here.
  • imaxw
    imaxw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is an option not to add back calories burned from exercise, but it requires a premium membership. As a workaround, you can manually set the calories burned to 0 for all your cardiovascular exercises.

Anyone who does decide to eat back their exercise calories burned should make sure they are not considering that exercise in the "activity level" part of their profile, or else they will be double-counting.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,585 Member
    Options
    It's all your decision. But something to consider. As a woman, the least amount of calories MFP will give you is 1200 per day. Say you've chosen an overly aggressive weightloss goal and ended up on 1200. Then you work out for 300. This comes down to:

1200-300 = 900 calories per day.

Yes, it's the same as eating only 900 calories per day. While 1200 is not very healthy for most people, 900 certainly isn't. You're lacking nutrition, losing muscles, maybe hair.

An option is to eat back a part of the exercise calories as those given my MFP are often inflated. Say eat back half to 3/4 of them and re-evaluate in a month or so.