Joining the Army

Options
Hi there! My name's Heaven, and it's been my life long dream to serve in the armed forces.

I went to my recruiter last year and I was at 142 (10lb away from making weight), but I couldn't go to basic that summer. I just got so bummed and ended up ballooning to 166. Now I really regret not training and losing the weight so I would be ready this winter.

Right now my current goal is to be 132 by Dec 15th, as that's around the time I'd be going to MEPS (possibly January, so I might have 5 months instead of just 4). So far I've been eating 1400-1500 calories a day, I limit myself to 140 carbs, and running a mile every day.

I really need the motivation to work out more than just running that mile, but I'm not even sure where to start. I don't know what exercise plans to do. I would love some help and motivation if you'd be willing to offer.

Thanks a lot~(:

Replies

• mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision and thank you for your service! My husband serves. He had to get fit in order to pass his APFT as well, and he included weight loss in his goals.
    I joined in with him, and my goals were to be able to pass the APFT too, if I were to take it.
    That might be a great place to start, jump online and find out what your minimums are to pass the APFT; that would give you a guideline of what you'll need to accomplish!

When I started, I was no where near my minimums! It was embarrassing! But my husband wanted to do P90X, and with my goal in mind I did it with him. It was a super valuable experience, and having a partner to laugh at Tony Horton's lame jokes made it very fun! After the 90 days, I was able to do the sit up and push ups with no problem, I blew past my mins! But I was still a little slow on my run. Unfortunately I lost some motivation and then we PCS'ed and am struggling again :(

I think I'm going to repeat what I did before, I felt so accomplished and proud.

Anyways, P90X is rather extreme, but it sure does the trick if you stick to it and push yourself! It gives you the muscles to do the sit ups and push ups with no problem; and it can be done in 3 months, which is within your time period. I would recommend continuing to run, too! We've tried Insanity too, but we don't like it as much. It's great for cardio, though. Also using the My Fitness Pal cell phone app (if you have a smartphone) is really great too. Because for me, eating meant entering, so I became more conscious of what I was eating. And when the progress graph goes down its very motivating to keep doing great work!

Feel free to add me if you'd like! I hope I helped a little!
  • eliz07
    eliz07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I just read this in a different post, but it seems like a great fit for you. It's direct and intense, but it really speaks to committment to ourselves and our goals. Welcome to MFP!

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/

:flowerforyou: