Bad Body Odour since starting MFP? - Help Please

Options
Hi all,

I've never had body odour problems before. I could workout all day without getting any BO. However, lately I've been smelling a little BO. Nothing too bad that others can smell, but I'm starting to worry. I think it started around the time I started my diet and fitness lifestyle.

I'm just wondering, has anyone had the same issue? Is it because of a change in my diet? What can I do to fix the situation? I hate that I smell like BO!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Haven't had this issue, but maybe invest in some body spray and some good deodorant? Don't go for the froo froo, go for the sports kinds?
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Rexona body spray but I think I might try a new one..
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you have Bo? Did you ask someone? Some foods like garlic and onions are known to make people smell. Have you been eating anything particularly smelly?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    In to see if someone tells her it's because she's detoxing, and the resulting melee. ;p

But seriously - what are you eating differently, OP?
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you have Bo? Did you ask someone? Some foods like garlic and onions are known to make people smell. Have you been eating anything particularly smelly?
    Bingo, today at the gym i was sweating garlic. My mistake when i was cooking i used garlic salt instead of garlic powder.
  • ashleymm625
    Options
    degree motion sense
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Big changes in protein intake can also change your natural BO (maybe because of the byproducts of metabolizing protein?), not necessarily bad or good, just different and you might be sensitive to that. And obviously increasing veggies with volatile compounds (eg aliums = garlic and onions, or cabbagey things) can do this pretty directly.

Since OP's diary isn't open, it's hard to be specific.

But if there's not an underlying health problem behind it, and if you're not on any medication, you might want to look into eating dietary activated charcoal tablets or capsules, which you can often get at health food stores. They also help with the ahem fragrance associated with flatulence.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Eat more greens and drink more water.
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    Have you showered since you started using mfp?
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yes, I have it really bad, my shirts reek even after i wash them i can still smell it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Bingo, today at the gym i was sweating garlic. My mistake when i was cooking i used garlic salt instead of garlic powder.

Oh *kitten*! I cook with garlic salt, may have to switch to garlic powder. Luckily I have not experienced any unpleasant smells.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    Yes I have showered lol.

I actually eat less onion and garlic since I started my diet than I did before, a lot less. I can't seem to see any reason why in my diet. I drink lots of water and eat plenty of salads and vegetables.

I'm opening my diary now, but please dont look at the end of last week, it was my fall out period, anything beyond that is a true reflection of what I have been eating.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and agree it's not your diet. My next guess is that it's just laundry related. The synthetic fibers used in workout wear tend to resist laundering.

1. Pre soak in water + baking soda. 15 minutes will do, and you can't harm by oversoaking.
    2. For really stubborn smells, add 1 cup white vinegar to the soap section during laundering. I promise, this will NOT make you smell like salad dressing.
    3. Do NOT use fabric softener with workout clothes. It tends to make them less able to get clean the next time they're laundered. Something to do with repelling water (in addition to the fact that modern activewear is usually made of water repellant fabric).
    4. If it's at all an option, air dry in sunlight. Sunlight is a natural deoderizer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    degree motion sense

X2
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I started using an OTC anti-perspirant called "Drysol"... I'm in Canada though. It's SERIOUSLY hardcore. I use it twice a week before bed, and I have ZERO ability to sweat under my arms anymore. Probably bad for me... but I don't sweat/smell anymore.
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    Are you sure it's you and not your clothes? Bacteria *love* to eat our sweat which leads to some smelly clothes. If you're not washing them well enough and then putting them back on then the bacteria is still there and will make your clothes smelly. I doubt it's your food, but that's just my 2c.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I switched to Dove Roll-on deodorant as the spray type don't work for me at all. Working pretty well.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    How often do you wash your hair? I don't like to wash mine more than 2 or 3 times per week, but since I work out a lot now, my hair would smell a little. I bought some dry shampoo and it helped a lot.
  • baybeejulia
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think I'm going to try soaking all my bras in baking soda, lets see how that goes.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I use degree for men lol I think it smells AMAZING and, in my opinion, "man" deodorant smells mesh better with my body scents making them seem less, I don't know, artificial (?) than "woman" deodorant smells. A thing of deodorant isn't more than $5 usually so just try out a few over a couple months :)