Counting calories on veg

Options
shelbiescott
shelbiescott Posts: 5 Member
Question..... when counting the calories, am i counting it before its cooked or after??

Or does it differ with each food group?

So with veg ive read its best to weight before its cooked.
When do you weigh meat? Before or after?

Also, if i wanted to make a smoothie... do i weigh ingredients first?

Sorry for all the questions haha. Google is confusing me lol

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,297 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Whether you weigh before or after is negligible, but you should be consistent with which one you do. (Either always weigh before, or after) Foods typically only lose water weight when they are cooked, and therefore the nutritional difference between x amount of food before or after cooking is negligible.

I went into more detail in this thread if you'd like more context: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/46658819#Comment_46658819

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, you should choose an entry that corresponds with your choice: user a raw food entry when you weigh raw, use a cooked food entry when you weigh cooked.
    The difference in moisture content can be significant (for example roasting makes vegetables more calorie dense since water content evaporates).

I prefer weighing raw, since that's more accurate (how much moisture is lost during cooking will depend on how long the vegetables are cooked etc) but lisp simply more practical when you are logging recipes with multiple ingredients.
  • Neverquit67
    Neverquit67 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I never know how to measure pasta
  • durden
    Options

@Neverquit67 Get a food scale, seriously. There are countless extremely affordable options out there, and it's a total game changer (I would say maybe even mandatory) for food logging.
  • Neverquit67
    Options
    durden wrote: »

@Neverquit67 Get a food scale, seriously. There are countless extremely affordable options out there, and it's a total game changer (I would say maybe even mandatory) for food logging.

No I mean when you weigh it cooked it’s a ton!! So do you weigh it dry or cooked? I don’t eat much of it anyway but when weighed cooked the numbers don’t make sense.
  • durden
    Options

No I mean when you weigh it cooked it’s a ton!! So do you weigh it dry or cooked? I don’t eat much of it anyway but when weighed cooked the numbers don’t make sense.

You weigh it dry, based on the nutritional information on the box. I linked to another thread above where I provided some additional context and info on this.
  • Neverquit67
    Options

You weigh it dry, based on the nutritional information on the box. I linked to another thread above where I provided some additional context and info on this.

Thanks!!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    Pasta absorbs weight as it's boiled, so either weigh it dry and use a dry/raw entry (they're all around 350kcal/100gr), or weigh cooked but use a cooked entry.
This discussion has been closed.