Burning Calories

Options
I am a 20 year old woman. I weigh 182 pounds as of today and my goal is 120. I have a question about weight loss. I eat 1200 calories a day filled with protein, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and lean meats. Then I burn about 2000 calories a day through exercise. How many pounds can I lose each week if I stick to this diet and exercise?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You're netting a -800 calories a day? It would be a good idea for you to see your doctor and perhaps get with a dietician.
  • ahopen
    ahopen Posts: 4
    Options
    I have spoken to my doctor and a personal trainer and they both agreed that with my current body weight I am able to handle this many calories a day. I just don't know how to calculate the pounds I will lose each week.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Your trainer and dietitian are morons.

-800 is not okay....period
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have spoken to my doctor and a personal trainer and they both agreed that with my current body weight I am able to handle this many calories a day.
    Why are you asking us then?

If you are eating 1200 cals and burning 2000 -- you are NETTING -800. Meaning you are exercising off MORE THAN you ate. Is what the other poster was saying. Are you netting 1200 after exercise...? Meaning -- eating back your exercise calories.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 2000 calories and how many hours does it take to burn 2000?
  • Emmienz
    Emmienz Posts: 29
    Options
    Do you mean your netting at 1200 calories a day or only eatting 1200 calorie and burning over 2000 ?? if thats the case your not eatting enough you might lose weight in the first little bit doing this but your body can't keep this up

Im on a 1200 a day life style change and heres what i do :) MFP has set my calories at 1200 a day I eat ALL of these then when i excise i eat All those calories back as well BUT! when i say excise i dont mean walking the 10 min walk from the car park to work as i did this before getting healthy didn't help me then so dont see how it will now :) i also dont count "cleaning" as excise or shopping as walking or things like that as i done all them before my life style change and well they didn't keep my skinny then so i dont see how they are going to keep me skinny now :)

Things i do log is walking with the dog , Sprints up the sand dunes when at the beach with my family , etc things i do over and above a "normal" day and of cause every little bit of food/drink that hit my tummy! ...

Ive had great loss in nearly 4 weeks ive now lost 5kgs (10Lbs) Im 25 year old women with 30Lbs to lose ! I really hope this helps :) but just remeber every body is dff and what works for one person might not work for the next :)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You're not sapposed to net a nagative number and I dont know what you are doing for exercise but I doubt you are actually burning 2000 calories a day. MFP way has a deficit built into it, when you exercise MFP gives you calories to eat back because exercising will create a larger deficit. I would recomened getting an HRM to have a more accurate calories burn through exercise. Eat back your exercise calories if you are doing it the MFP way because if you dont it will create a very large deficit and too much of anything is not good, including too much of a deficit.
  • ahopen
    Options
    Well I eat small meals every 2 hours and exercise three times a day (1 hour each time). I do cardio, weight training, and a little bit of yoga. The reason I burn so many calories is probably because I'm so overweight. I'm sure it will slow down the closer I get to my goal.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 2000 calories and how many hours does it take to burn 2000?
    Beat me to this question, 2000 calories is an amazing amount to burn off in a day.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why not just do it and see the results. We didn't put the Wgt on overnight. Be patient with yourself and let nature take its course. You want to make life style changes you can live with after you reach your goal.
  • ahopen
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. I will definitely take everything you guys have said into account.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Honey get yourself a HRM. I weight more then you and workout 2 hours a day. I am lucky if my HRM tells me I burned 800. Don't trust MFP exercise calculations they are very inflated. If anything cut MFP exercise calories in half that will get you close.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can lose lots and quickly. But doesn't your appetite go through the roof?

Everytime I try this, my appetite is out of control, I can eat my family members ...

2000 calories - you'd have to run a marathon in 4 hours. You do not burn that many calories no matter how heavy you are.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Honey get yourself a HRM. I weight more then you and workout 2 hours a day. I am lucky if my HRM tells me I burned 800. Don't trust MFP exercise calculations they are very inflated. If anything cut MFP exercise calories in half that will get you close.

Agreed! I weigh 170 and an hour of HIIT exercise only gets me about 600 calories at the most. And strength training doesn't burn anything close to that. Even when I weighed 260 pounds, I'm not sure I would have burned 2000 calories in three hours. Buy a HRM and get an accurate reading. Netting -800 calories per day is not sustainable over even a short period of time. Your body won't have the fuel to do those workouts.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This website was made so that you eat back your exercise calories.

As to answer your question, there's a rule in thermodynamics where a system can only burn as much as it gets. If you are giving it less then what it needs, it's going to start picking and choosing what is essential to run and if it should run optimally. What this means? Basically that you'll stall fast, since running things optimally burns more calories then not running them at all. For example, you're probably getting cold quicker then you use to (food has a thermic effect called TEF). There's a tipping point where a huge deficit just isn't beneficial. This is why anorexics tend to gain weight on little food. And you're putting yourself there with significant weight to lose, which means if you do this for an extended period of time and try to go back to eating normal, you're body is going to panic and want to put on as much weight as it can to save for later.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" 180lbs and netting -800 is NOT okay and no, your body isn't going to handle it well.

Even at my heaviest - 245lbs - this would not have been acceptable.

ETA: Trying to lose this way means that the weight you are losing isn't just fat, but muscle. Aside from that, you are going to be looking at some nasty side effects. I would do research and talk to a physician and a registered dietitian.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well I eat small meals every 2 hours and exercise three times a day (1 hour each time). I do cardio, weight training, and a little bit of yoga. The reason I burn so many calories is probably because I'm so overweight. I'm sure it will slow down the closer I get to my goal.

Ask your trainer what the plan is when you get to goal weight. Do you plan to do 3 hours for the rest of your life? How much do they figure you'll eat then.

I've done the massive amounts of exercise and low calorie intake (not as low as you). I really struggled after reaching goal

With extra weight, you can afford a larger calorie deficit, however, yours is far too big.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Once in a while burning way more calories than you eat is probably ok, BUT you probably won't be able to keep it up for long. Maybe try going at it just a little slower. Exercise every day, but not so much ( 3 hours is a lot for EVERY day) and try switching up the types of exercise day by day...Some days eat a more than the 1200 calories if you are feeling tired, etc. It can be really tempting to start out weight loss full throttle, but it's hard to keep that intensity up. Slow and steady wins the race... I lost my weight by sticking to about 1200-1400 cal (I'm 5'3" and 46) and didn't eat all my exercise calories back, BUT I did occasionally. You have to fuel your body to be able to work that hard. Good luck!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can see what you eat and what you log for exercise? Do you mean you think you're burning 2000 calories in actual intentional exercise each day or that is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)? Also how do you measure your food, with a food scale? I cannot believe your trainer and dietician haven't been more hands on with expectations regarding this "plan". Good luck
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Also side note, you're very pretty in your profile picture. ????