Scale Accuracy

tommygirl15
tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
What is the most accurate scale out there? I go by my digital one at home, but at the gym there are the two other kinds (forgive me, I'm not sure of the proper names for them) - one I think is a balance scale? and the other is where the the pointer goes to the number, lol.

My digital gives me great numbers, but at the gym I get a different number (5 pounds heavier!) from the pointer one. I haven't stepped on the balance scale there but I'm thinking I should give it a try next time for comparison. What really is the most accurate one?

(this is assuming you have a properly working digital scale and it's not broken!)

Replies

• This will be a bit of a vague reply but I remember someone recently saying that analogue (those that point to a number) and digital (those that you have now) always differ by at least 2 lbs.

Other reasons for variation can the surface that you place your scales on. I always put mine onto the bathroom floor, as it's tiled, rather than anywhere carpeted, for example.

Also, take into account the age of the scales. They lose accuracy the older they get, as they get calibrated at the point of manufacture but then the calibration can get knocked out by any number of reasons.

If I were you, I'd simply stick to one kind of scale. That way, even if you can't be 100% sure of your exact weight, you can be 100% sure of the difference between weigh-ins.

Hope that helps a little bit :smile:
  • tommygirl15
    That definitely helps, I have a feeling the one at the gym is pretty old whereas my digital one I've had for about 3-4 years now.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    You also have to remember that the scales at a gym get used far more than your personal scale at home. That actually means they aren't always very accurate, although I prefer tha analogue scales.
    It doesn't really matter which scale you follow. Just stick with one. If you are one or two lbs lighter or heavier doesn't matter, all that matters is that you see when you lost some weight. The dropping lbs should be the same at every scale (hope I made sense with that LOL).
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    The ones like they have in doctor's offices - the ones with the two weights that slide back and forth - are supposed to be calibrated on a regular basis. I wonder if they would bother to do that at the gym? I'd personally agree with Galathea - pick one and stick to it. You may not know your exact weight but you'll definitely know what you're losing!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Don't forget that your weight fluctuates during the day, too. If you weigh on your scale in the morning, then have breakfast or even lunch and go the gym, your weight is difference. Factor the variance in the scales and you could easily have a 5 pound difference.

Stick with one scale, same time of the day.

L
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    What is the most accurate scale out there? I go by my digital one at home, but at the gym there are the two other kinds (forgive me, I'm not sure of the proper names for them) - one I think is a balance scale? and the other is where the the pointer goes to the number, lol.

My digital gives me great numbers, but at the gym I get a different number (5 pounds heavier!) from the pointer one. I haven't stepped on the balance scale there but I'm thinking I should give it a try next time for comparison. What really is the most accurate one?

(this is assuming you have a properly working digital scale and it's not broken!)

I used to belong to a gym and the scales there were 14lbs out. I nearly had a cardiac when I jumped on them and saw the result! :sad:

I was getting quite upset until a bloke there said that his own weight was way, way out (14lbs) and he knew this because he his own scales were accurate and he had weighed himself before coming to the gym.

Sometimes I think that scales that are used by numerous people and are used a lot gradually lose their accuracy.
  • LotusF1ower

I used to belong to a gym and the scales there were 14lbs out. I nearly had a cardiac when I jumped on them and saw the result! :sad:

I was getting quite upset until a bloke there said that his own weight was way, way out (14lbs) and he knew this because he his own scales were accurate and he had weighed himself before coming to the gym.

Sometimes I think that scales that are used by numerous people and are used a lot gradually lose their accuracy.
  • tommygirl15
    I do take into account the fluctuating factor. I always weigh myself in the morning after using the washroom because I personally think that's when you can find your most accurate weight.

I think I'll bypass the gym scales from now on and still to my home scale :)
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    I use my home scale...and periodically throw a 5 pound bag of sugar on it.....it is always 5 pounds, therefore my scale is accurate...my doctors scale weigh 15 pounds light...
  • tommygirl15
    I use my home scale...and periodically throw a 5 pound bag of sugar on it.....it is always 5 pounds, therefore my scale is accurate...my doctors scale weigh 15 pounds light...

Ohhh that is such a great tip!!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    I work at a veterinary hospital, so I always use the scale we have for large dogs instead of the scale we have at home-- our bathroom scale can vary by up to five pounds compared with the scale at work! That said, even a pricey piece of medical machinery like the scale at the hospital is sometimes off by some amount. I've taken to weighing an eight pound bag of cat food right before I weigh myself, so that I can be sure the scale is accurate-- it generally is, but not always.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    At the gym, you can calibrate the scale by placing at 10 pound dumbbell on it. Adjust the scale by turning the knob on the slider bar, until it says 10 pounds exactly. My gym weighs me 5 pounds heavier than my digital scale at home. I just add 5 pounds to my scale. My doctor's scale is only 1 pound higher than my home scale. But, I started my weight loss with my scale + 5, so I'll just use that. It really doesn't matter. Just start with one scale and stick with it for recording how much you lose. Your actual weight isn't important, just the weight you have lost.
  • LotusF1ower
    At the gym, you can calibrate the scale by placing at 10 pound dumbbell on it. Adjust the scale by turning the knob on the slider bar, until it says 10 pounds exactly. My gym weighs me 5 pounds heavier than my digital scale at home. I just add 5 pounds to my scale. My doctor's scale is only 1 pound higher than my home scale. But, I started my weight loss with my scale + 5, so I'll just use that. It really doesn't matter. Just start with one scale and stick with it for recording how much you lose. Your actual weight isn't important, just the weight you have lost.

Blimey, such a simple idea and yet total common sense!

Gonna test my own scales now :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.