Weight Gain Suggestions Needed

2»

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    See now there are lots of great suggestions on here.... what do you do when you are lactose intolerant, allergic to Whey, and sensitive to protein shakes and really liquid intake of anything? I was 2 lbs shy of being diagnosed with anorexia... and have learned by trial and error.... I know that protein intake with every meal is imperative.. I can't take in carbs without a protein counterpart.

In direct response to your post: I think discussing it with the doctor who is fully aware of your situation first is probably best, and devising a meal plan that best suits your situation may work well. Good luck!
    Eat lots of oil (in cooking, salad dressing etc), nuts, peanut butter, higher calorie fruits like bananas and avocados, higher fat meats, oily fish etc.
  • JesterMFP
    Gaining weight is not a typical goal in the fitness community, so be careful what you wish for. In general, those who wish to gain weight do so for reasons.
    um... of course it is. Hence this "gaining weight" forum on this fitness website. Also, stop spamming your website in every post. :huh:

OP - like others have said, just aim for calorie dense foods, which often means things that are high in fat. You can sneak extra calories in easily with things like olive oil - make up a nice dressing for salads, maybe add it to vegetables too. A handful of nuts several times a day will add plenty too. If you currently eat any foods labelled "low fat" or "lite" then switch to the full fat versions.

Smoothies and protein shakes can be good as drinks don't tend to fill you up as much. I don't know if you have it available where you live, but I like to have Ovaltine and Horlicks sometimes (may not be to everyone's taste) - gives you a nice hot milky and/or chocolatey drink, and it has added micronutrients as a bonus. If you make it with full fat milk and add a little extra powder, it would easily add a few hundred calories. That's what I go for when I'm really under calories for the day and don't fancy eating anything.

2000 calories is not actually a huge amount to take in each day. It may be that your appetite has reduced after being on a lower intake for some time (this is very common) and that if you really make an effort to consistently get your calories in, you'll fin that your appetite increases and it won't feel like such hard work.
  • JesterMFP
    I would like to know how many calories I should be consuming to reach 120 pounds. Am currently 109, up from 107, but that's taken 3weeks. MfP gave me a calorie goal of 2300. Should it be higher? I've been struggling to reach that most days but have persisted to try over 3 weeks and will continue to. Support would help.
    You will get more responses if you start your own thread. :flowerforyou:

Honestly, I would go with MFP's recommendation for a few weeks and see how you get on. About 0.5 a week is probably a good rate of gain. If you're not gaining that much, then you could up your calories.