Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

I would like to have the ability to copy ingredients and move them to different recipes

Options
Similar to how I can copy foods to different days, I would like this feature with recipes.

I often am experimenting with slight variations on recipes, and when it involves several ingredients that change slightly every time, having to go in and find the specific ingredient and enter the quantity time and time again can get very tedious.

6 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    You might try using the Meals functionality. Meals are collections of foods, you can save them and when you add them to your diary (in the quantity you want, for example only half of the recipe) it adds the individual ingredients to your diary, where you can tweak the quantities and proportions and add /remove ingredients and then, if you want, save the variation as a new meal.

I never use the recipe builder, only the Meals function.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    When I vary a recipe, I don’t delete the ingredients, I just set the amounts to zero. Then the next time I go into it, they are there and no need to search for it. Ingredients not used this round are set to zero amounts.

So, for example, a stir fry recipe might have 12 veggies and 3 meats; not all of them are used each time. Instead, I adjust the amounts of each ingredient each time, from 0 to however many grams of each. If a new ingredient is used, I simply add it to the growing list, I don’t necessarily make a new recipe if it’s for a staple dish like soup/ stew/ stir fry/ curry, etc.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,948 MFP Staff
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi @gpanda103

You can copy a recipe and just alter the new one slightly. The copy recipe function is only available on the website. www.myfitnesspal.com (then use your username/password to log in.)

Click the 'Food' tab. Then select the 'Recipes' sub-tab. Once that opens, hover over the recipe you want to copy and you'll see 'Edit, Copy, or Remove' on the right side of the recipe title. Select Copy.

Hope this helps :)