Gained 12lbs in past 6 days?!?

Options
I am so frustrated and don’t even know how this is possible. I log diligently (food scale/measuring cups), have an extremely active job and I never eat back the calories I’ve burned.

I generally get in 12-15k steps a day because I work at a restaurant. I know weight loss isn’t a science, but I’m so frustrated.

I have a LOT of weight to lose (like 75lbs). I’m 6’3, just turned 47, female, just had my thyroid checked and stayed on the same dose of medicine.

I’m rational enough to know that it’s not possible to gain 12lbs of fat in 6 days, and I’m incredibly sore from work, so possibly retaining water, but what else?

Reassuring responses very much appreciated. TYVM!!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you haven't dramatically changed your activity level downward, or your calorie intake upward, it can't possibly be 12 pounds of fat. 12 pounds of fat requires around 42,000 calories above maintenance. You'd notice!

Retaining water, sure, especially with the soreness; stress can also increase water retention, or having allergies kick up (head congestion, inflammation. etc.) - lots of things increase water retention. Maybe food waste that hasn't made it all the way through your system, yet. (Are you by any change eating higher fiber lately, or experiencing some constipation? - you don't have to answer that, it's just a set of things to consider).

If you've been losing weight fast before this, that stress can also contribute to water retention. Maybe that doesn't apply, but since you mention not eating activity calories from your high level of activity, I have to consider that. If you only have 75 pounds to lose, you may be OK trying for 2 pounds a week at first, but not much more than that.

Watch out for symptoms of some other health condition, maybe see your doctor if this doesn't start reversing in the next small number of weeks.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to gain 12lbs of fat in 6 days. Relax, it is just water weight either from eating a lot of sodium, or you are retaining water for any number of reasons, and/or food waste still in your system.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I can't tell if the restaurant job is new or not. It doesn't sound new, but you mentioned being sore, so...

I'm 9 inches shorter than you and "gained" 7 pounds in a week when I started weight lifting again.

If I'd added high sodium food, that might have been a few pounds more.

Also, if you have a menstrual cycle - when I was your age I'd gain a few pounds of water weight when I ovulated as well as premenstrually. As I got closer to menopause, I'd gain even more at ovulation.

That's why it's important for women with menstrual cycles to compare their weight to the same point in their cycle as last month, rather than last week.
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The activity is not new. I’ve been at this job since September, but it is completely wearing me out. I keep thinking it’s get less taxing, but not so far. I’m looking voraciously for a new job, but haven’t had any luck yet.

I’m on the pill, so do not get a period at all.

I definitely have been overdoing the sodium recently since I got a snack pack box from a Amazon and everything is salty.

I took some Metamucil today because I know I don’t get enough fiber.

I’m just busting my butt getting all these steps and logging my food and it’s disheartening to see the scale fo the wrong way!!