Former power lifter

Options
Hi all, former competition bodybuilder and powerlifter. I let myself go a few years back and just trying to get back to the health and shape I was before. It's tough because I tend to emotionally eat. I know what I need to do, I've just been too darn lazy to do it. Anyone else in the same boat or has been? Any advice? I'm not too proud to say that I'm the only one to blame for letting my health go. Thx all

Replies

• SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Similar here. Only I never competed either way. Spent years training for aesthetic. Injuries and life happened. Got back into it and went the whole power lifting route. PR!!!! Realized that first, I am too old for that nonsense. And second, all I was doing with the power lifting thing was hiding from my weight. Like if I was chasing PRs I did not have to lose weight. Finally set that down but now I am old. Injuries are stacking up. Training for aesthetic again but man, it is really really hard to drop the fat.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. We have a similar situation. I realize that for me, the emotional eating has always been there. I have learned that I need to address this first before any change can happen. I am not sure about you, but for me emotional eating is a symptom of wanting to avoid or ignore difficult emotions and responses, whether positive or negative. I have had to practice BEING present with emotion. It's not easy and I don't always do it...but it has become part of my life: to acknowledge that I don't like big feelings and I will try to run from them by numbing out with food. I would say, try to move deeper into why you have this emotional connection to food that hurts you. Then the work can begin