"Exercise" Calorie count has jumped up.

Options
jcloth13
jcloth13 Posts: 7 Member
Hi there...

I've been using the App for a couple of months, and have hit my goal weight. So I've now changed my goal from losing weight to maintaining weight.

Since I made that change, the calories I'm "earning" for exercise have really increased. For example, I did about 6,500 steps yesterday and earned almost 600 calories. Before I changed to maintaining weight I would get maybe 200 or so calories for that amount of steps. Any reason why the count has jumped?

I *think* I used to get those amount of calories when I first started using the app, but over time it decreased, maybe as the app was getting used to my daily routine etc., and counting in actual exercise, running etc.? If that's the case, has changing my goal to Maintain Weight caused the app to forget that learning, and now it has to learn it all again?

Thanks...

Best Answer

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Have you had some high stress days perhaps? Or some other reason your heart rate was higher? I have a Garmin as well and I have noticed it gives me more calories for the same number of steps when my heart rate is higher (from stress, when I'm digesting food, when I've had an alcoholic drink etc.).

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely to be your explanation, MFP doesn't learn anything. It just does math with the number it receives from the step tracker and the settings you chose on MFP.

Possible explanations:
    - you changed your weight loss rate but at the same time also changed your activity level in MFP or perhaps some other setting?
    - or something changed with regards to the device you're using for those steps. What are you using: a step tracker on your phone or a fitness tracker?
  • jcloth13
    Options
    Thanks for your reply...

I only changed my weight and the goal t9 maintain instead of lose, nothing else. The device is a Garmin Watch and I don't think anything had changed there.

Weirdly, I have 4,500 steps so far today and less than 200 calories, so it seems to be more restrained today compared to yesterday, though I obviously haven't hit the 6,500 from yesterday yet.
  • jcloth13
    Options
    Cool, didn't know it did that! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.