Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Worst exercise ever!

Options
2»

Replies

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I started out I HAAAAAATED deadlifts! But my training partner pointed out that was mostly because they were incredibly hard for me. My primary sport at the time had left me very unbalanced, with extremely strong upper body pull muscles and lower body push muscles. So I worked my tail off to try to even that out, and they gradually grew on me. Now, 30 years later, I'm trying to convince my medical team to clear me for powerlifting 🤞

Now I think the treadmill is the worst. It's just mind-numbingly boring! And I have joint issues that prevent me from running, so I don't even get the endorphin spike that makes me look forward to other, lower-impact cardio.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,311 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I hate mountain climbers or bear crawls more. But I agree with the previous poster who said it's because they are hard for me. I'm still morbidly obese and I carry a ton of weight in my butt and low belly, and at my weight it takes a massive amount of core strength to do these properly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Exercise in futility.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Prancercise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What the….? I couldn’t even watch it all! Is this a real thing?!?

• siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    azuki84 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Running is terrible

I chuckle when I see anyone using running as exercise UNLESS training for it as a sport or LOVES to run for some strange reason- few people even know PROPER form for running. That's why many runners later in life experience severe joint/bone issues, muscle imbalance, etc. I definitely don't need to run to stay lean LOL

LOL I'm glad someone else said it -- totally agree. I was on the track team in high school and it was one of the unhealthiest times of my life. I lost my period for 6 months, I got all kinds of leg and hip problems, and I developed severe depression. And I wasn't some star athlete, I was pretty average. Several of the star athletes ended up with stress fractures and one even ended up with a broken jaw after an on-track collision with another runner. Also even though my times got significantly better from where I started, the actual running itself never got any less painful and my lung capacity isn't that great so it was always a struggle to get enough. I think exercise should be fun and running will never be fun to me.
    amn0619 wrote: »
    Mountain climbers. What is the point? Hate them!

Mountain climbing is completely baffling to me. Most climbers end up dying in a climbing accident at some point. There are some mountains where close to 40% of anyone who has ever attempted to climb them have died in the attempt. It's so stupid. I don't even consider climbing to be an achievement because it does nothing to advance society or even the climber's health and well-being.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Prancercise.

Honestly as ridiculous as it looks, I think it would actually be a decent low-impact workout for people who can't do overly strenuous exercise.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Lunges. Any type, but especially walking and Bulgarian SS.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The "American Kettlebell Swing". It's just bad form by bad trainers. It was made up after idiots that really didn't know that a KB swing is actually a hip hinge movement (not a squat) made videos and then made up a name for their crappy form. Which, BTW, can injure you as well.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I hate back rack lunges. Not that they are terribly hard to do but they make my butt sore for days afterwards!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    ...idiots that really didn't know that a KB swing is actually a hip hinge movement (not a squat) ...

I've not seen KB swings done as squats, but almost invariably I see them done by people as basically shoulder front-raises, which is fine if that's your goal but is it really?
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    The nord. track ski machine. That thing was a hazardous piece of equipment. It wasn't good for anything except knocking pets around, breaking ankles and knocking your teeth out. I used it for a clothes hanger for a number of years until I gave it to someone else. I apologize for doing that. It jerked your legs back and forth. Completely useless.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    ...idiots that really didn't know that a KB swing is actually a hip hinge movement (not a squat) ...

I've not seen KB swings done as squats, but almost invariably I see them done by people as basically shoulder front-raises, which is fine if that's your goal but is it really?

Yeah, that's part of it too. They emphasize the legs/quads, not the hip hinge and then raise their arms all the way up -- it's just the stupidest exercise I've ever seen.

That's what this article brings up. Basically, by bringing the arms all the way up, you're risking injury to your back, adding in legs (to counter the velocity of the KB and it's weight coming down) and it's just a terrible idea all around.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a40058217/american-kettlebell-swings-no/

A proper KB swing should be a nice hip hinge movement, protected back (like a deadlift) and just let the KB go to where it naturally will swing after your glutes and hip thrust it up. No higher.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I will do some intervals while walking my dog - jog from corner to corner, then walk, then jog again BUT running? Nope! I feel like a lumbering block of cement, even more so after breaking my left kneecap about 12 years ago. I also try and avoid too much time on my knees because when the doctors had to put humpty together again, they had to get creative with where they re-attached some things and too much time on the knees gets uncomfortable, even with cushion.

I do like squats in almost any form though ...