Homemade Bread

Options
Hi,

We have a bread machine and I've calculated the ingredients and calories for a loaf of bread. What is the best way to get the number of calories for a slice or a chunk of it?

The whole loaf is 1600 calories. I weighed it after it cooled a bit (it changes as the bread cools and loses its moisture??). Should just weigh my slice every time I cut a piece? Is this an accurate method? So multiply the number of calories per gram by the weight of the slice.

Total calories: 1600
Total weight: 669g
1g = 2.392

E.G. 150g slice of bread would be 358.8 calories.

Because the bread is bigger in some parts and more dense in others, I don't think trying to estimate the percentage I have sliced off would be accurate.

How do you calculate your homemade bread??
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,171 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I weigh the (cooled) loaf and calculate the calories for the entire loaf. I enter that as a Meal, entering the weight of the loaf in the title so I don't forget. (you could also log it with the recipe builder and enter the weight in grams as the number of servings)

And then I weigh the slices I consume and log that as a proportion of the total Meal. E.g. If the loaf weighs 1600gr and the bread I consume weighs 115gr, I will log (115/1600 using my calculator) 0.071875 of the Meal. (using the recipe builder, you would log 115 servings)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    ^^ That.

But also: The difference in density from one slice to the next will indeed affect the exact calories in that slice, yup. The weighing method you suggest will catch most or all of that. Anything it doesn't catch isn't worth worrying about: It'd be high sometimes, low others, average out plenty close enough over multiple bread slices. You'd get that averaging effect even with the less-accurate averaging method, to a lesser extent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You would just slice off what you're going to eat and weigh it. The total grams of your slice would be the total servings. So if your slice weighed 25 grams it would be 25 servings and 59.8 calories.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This is how I do it, too.

BTW if you get in the habit of weighing your ingredients in grams, instead of using cups and teaspoons, the weight of the final loaf will be staggeringly consistent. I don’t even bother weighing the loaf any more.

Don’t forget to add any extra flour you use for kneading.

My recipe calls for 500 gr flour. I mix with 450 and use the rest for the kneading.

If, by any chance, you have any liquid whey hanging around the house (by product of yogurt or cheesemaking) use it instead of water, warming it same way etc. It makes your bread rise so beautifully and bakes up with a gorgeous crust.