Help! How do I get out of this plateau?

Options
I need some help now before I give up! Its almost 4 weeks with no weight loss. I know some of you is going to say "let me see your diary"! Dont worry I have been keeping things on track. May go over on calories by 10 or 25. I thought a couple of weeeks ago I would reset some of my goals and now Im only allowed 1440 cals a day. Im on the go from the time I get out of bed 7-7:30 am to 12:12:30 at night. I dont count those burn calories cause I got my activity set to on the go. But for some reason I dont feel as if it enough food considering I have at times been feeling really hungry and I have been eating every 3 hours or so. Im drinking 10 - 15 glasses of water a day. Yes I do work out 3 days a week but the past three weeks I have been sick with at first was a cold then it was a sinuse infection. Still since I havnt been excerising and watching what I have eaten I should still be seeing a few pounds lost. Help me please!

Replies

• sparis88
    sparis88 Posts: 30
    Options
    Well it depends on how much fat intake and carbs you are consuming? You say your always on the go, what types of food are you eating? Eat the good carbs and always get plenty of sleep!! :happy:
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i've done a couple different things to get out of my plateaus...

the first time I actually increased my calories from 1200 to 1400 and continued the same exercises and within a week the scale started moving.

this last time i changed my workout from doing the wii active routines to doing the 30 day shred video and dropped 3 lbs in 2 weeks.

I also changed my carb/fat/protein ratio to 40/30/30 recently too which seemed to help
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I have heard that shaking up your workout routine is the way to go. Your body adapts, and if you are always doing the same exercises, your body will get use to it. So try a totally different workout, like swimming or biking or something, or really up the workout you already do. I am in the same boat- nearly 2 weeks with no loss (no gain either, thank God) so I am looking for ways to shake it up a bit! Best of luck to you!
  • owno9700
    owno9700 Posts: 24
    Options
    I too have hit a plateau, although I've seen some results in how my clothes fit, the scale has remained relatively unchanged. Take a good look at what types of food you are eating, even though you are on the go all of the time, it may not be enough to balance the calories in the foods that you are eating. If you still feel hungry despite eating every 3 hours, you may be eating too many "empty calories" (bad carbs). Do you find you generally eat the same things all of the time? Try changing your diet up a bit and substituting some foods for others.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    1. Exercise with more intensity or exercise harder

For example - If you can't lose weight walking at 3 mph then try walking faster at 3.5 mph or try walking up a hill to increase intensity.

2. Do a different exercise at least every 3 weeks...

If you've been doing the same exercise everyday - then over time... YOU & YOUR body will get used to the same exercise you're doing and you'll burn less calories making you lose less weight.

3. Do your exercises longer

Basically - If you're not losing weight anymore by walking for 30 minutes... Then you need to start walking for 45 minutes

4. Do your exercises more often

Basically - If you're walking 2 times a week and not losing weight... Then you need to start walking 3-to-5 times a week or walk everyday and another way you can break out of your weight loss plateau is to...

5. Workout twice a day

If you have time... You can workout twice a day to increase your metabolism by working out in the morning on an empty stomach to burn more fat and then working out again in the evening!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The scale I have been using was incorrect- my ticker shows 1 lb, but I have actually lost 6 :) Go me!

you can edit your starting weight and check-in weights to reflect the more accurate ones and it will be reflected on your ticker
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert in that subject but have you tried to vary things a little. When you exercise, are you always doing the same thing ? Same for eating, are you reaching a point that your body know what to expect ?

Also a couple of tricks that work for me. Carbs not too much at night and never pass 7:00pm, sodium keep it very low. (I tend to keep it under 1000mg)

measure yourself... as sometimes the weight is not moving but your body is actually. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I've witness that very much as I was trying to get the scale to stay the same but my body has continued to change for about 2 months after that. And I mean changes that my clothes were not fitting the same but I haven't lost a lbs since during those 2 months. So please pay attention to that as well.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I need some help now before I give up! Its almost 4 weeks with no weight loss. I know some of you is going to say "let me see your diary"! Dont worry I have been keeping things on track. May go over on calories by 10 or 25. I thought a couple of weeeks ago I would reset some of my goals and now Im only allowed 1440 cals a day. Im on the go from the time I get out of bed 7-7:30 am to 12:12:30 at night. I dont count those burn calories cause I got my activity set to on the go. But for some reason I dont feel as if it enough food considering I have at times been feeling really hungry and I have been eating every 3 hours or so. Im drinking 10 - 15 glasses of water a day. Yes I do work out 3 days a week but the past three weeks I have been sick with at first was a cold then it was a sinuse infection. Still since I havnt been excerising and watching what I have eaten I should still be seeing a few pounds lost. Help me please!

The illness may have slowed down your weight loss. Everyones body is diff. I would continue to eat well, cut out all fried foods, white flour and carbs after 4 or 5 pm. You are doing well. It will come love.
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    When I was in my teens I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, which is the opposite of diabetes. My doctor told me that the best thing I could do to control it, and consequentially my weight, was to eat between 6 and 8 times a day. Not big meals but small meals. For instance a bowl of cereal in the morning (around 300 cals), then around mid morning have a little something else (no more than 200 cals), then a sandwich for lunch (not fast food!), and so on from there until you hit dinner which should be your last meal for the day. If you feel hungry all the time maybe you could try this out, it should help alleviate that problem. And as an added bonus, eating this way actually revs up your metabolism so you burn more calories in a day! Good luck, hope this helps.

856238.png[/url]
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The thing is I have been eating all good foods, but I do think its the doing the same things and eating the same food over and over is keeping me where I am today. I've been keeping my carbs low or if I had low energy I would increase a little. Actually its been the best I have keep in my food journal yet. But I keep with the same foods because I know what and how many in in what Im eating. The excerises I do got easier and so on. But I think my number one enemy is STRESS!
  • GunnyGirlTN
    GunnyGirlTN Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I lost 30 pounds like nothing but now its taking forever to loose just 1 lbs. So I'm trying to change my foods and exercises. Lets hope it works!

:)
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    1. Exercise with more intensity or exercise harder

For example - If you can't lose weight walking at 3 mph then try walking faster at 3.5 mph or try walking up a hill to increase intensity.

2. Do a different exercise at least every 3 weeks...

If you've been doing the same exercise everyday - then over time... YOU & YOUR body will get used to the same exercise you're doing and you'll burn less calories making you lose less weight.

3. Do your exercises longer

Basically - If you're not losing weight anymore by walking for 30 minutes... Then you need to start walking for 45 minutes

4. Do your exercises more often

Basically - If you're walking 2 times a week and not losing weight... Then you need to start walking 3-to-5 times a week or walk everyday and another way you can break out of your weight loss plateau is to...

5. Workout twice a day

If you have time... You can workout twice a day to increase your metabolism by working out in the morning on an empty stomach to burn more fat and then working out again in the evening!

Hope this helps! Good Luck!:flowerforyou:

Just busted through a very long plateau by doing exactly this. I have been doing a combination of biking, yoga, pilates, strength training, and jogging. I basically do 20-40 minutes of two or three of these things every day. Exercise is great for stress!
  • elloradannon
    elloradannon Posts: 111
    Options
    It's normal to plateau... I've lost 65 lbs now (with weight watchers... just started this website a while ago) and it seemed like when I would get close to breaking into the new decade of weight I would get stuck. I agree with what everyone else said- Change it Up! Try a brand new workout... change what you eat for breakfast, little things like that will "shock" your body into losing again. Also measuring, as someone else said, will really keep you motivated. It seems like when I get stuck at a certain weight, I will still be losing inches in places. Another thing that might help you is to monitor your fiber intake and cut back on cheese and dairy. Good luck
  • suzyq2992
    suzyq2992 Posts: 19
    Options
    try getting yourself some 100 calories snacks and eat instead of the other sugary thing you eat.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    The scale I have been using was incorrect- my ticker shows 1 lb, but I have actually lost 6 :) Go me!

you can edit your starting weight and check-in weights to reflect the more accurate ones and it will be reflected on your ticker

I tried, and it didn't work. It made it look like I had gained all that weight!