Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are some of your favourite filling low calorie foods?

I've only just started to track what I eat but I do find that a simple baked potato fills me up and is a good low calorie option. I also love drinking chai tea with almond milk and a bit of honey! I've just started logging again after years so I am keen for some inspiration!

Replies

• WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    Swap the potato for a yam - it’s much lower calorie wise and has a lower glycemic index. Garlicky shrimp or brawn’s with broccoli (actually anything broccoli centric - lots of volume not a lot of calories), and get to know zoodles (zucchini noodles). A tip from a nutritionist back when I was a gestational diabetic: don’t let carbohydrates travel without being accompanied by a protein. Apparently it really moderates the impact on blood sugars and keeping an even keel will help when trying to remain satiated.

Chia pudding (4 tablespoons chia seeds, a cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk, 1/2tsp vanilla, and two teaspoons milk shaken together in a mason jar and left overnight, providing two 150 calorie servings) is great.

With respect to fruit berries provide a low sugar, high fibre option - with a 100 grams of strawberries only having a 40 calorie price tag - add a half serving of Skyr yogurt (higher protein lower fat than Greek) and half a serving of hemp seeds and it’s a 200 calorie breakfast with a great macro profile.

Lunch wise I often opt for a ready made (but not mayo based) tuna salad with 100 grams of spinach and some slices of avocado.

I find keeping breakfast and dinner “tame” means I can live a little at dinner and have lots of room (calorie wise) to fit a satisfying supper.

And of course - water, water, and more water. Try not to drink your calories. A surprising number sneak in when drinking juice and soda and most fancier (lattes with syrups) coffees can be real calorie bombs.
  • WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    My other favourite: beans. Really underrated and useful in terms of a high fibre, lower calorie option with protein. Try It to make brownies! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
  • Happygolucky182
    Happygolucky182 Posts: 120 Member
    Popcorn 🍿🥰
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    https://www.instagram.com/lowcalrecipes98/
    She has some fun things to try

@amyshealthybaking
    also has some good ones too