Elliptical trainer speed settings

Options
Hi,

I've been training regularly on my cross trainer - it's a pretty basic model but does the job! However, I'm not convinced that the distances it tells me I am doing are correct. Is it normal for elliptical trainers record a faster speed than running on a treadmill?

For example, it tells me I have completed 10km in approximately 24 minutes - this is maintaining an average speed of 22-28km/hr, although I'm not conviced that the speeds it's giving me are accurate, otherwise surely I should be in training for the Olympics?!

So is it normal that elliptical trainers have vastly different settings to tradmills?

Thanks!

Replies

• 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is VERY unrealistic. i can do 10k (6.2 miles) in 58:30 ( = 9:25 miles) on the elliptical with my heartrate at 130.
    but the treadmill is much harder, im doing 12:30 to 13:30 miles with my heart rate at 150. this correlates with actual road running, I discussed this at the office, someone said the elliptical is designed to make you feel good about your speed, but its in no way a reality.