Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) For Health/Wellness

Options
2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    For most people, (ie non diabetics) temporary rising of glucose is of no consequence though - blood glucose rises, insulin response kicks in, and restores equilibrium.

For those who actually understand how the human body works, this is the perfect answer... for those who don't... oh well.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    For most people, (ie non diabetics) temporary rising of glucose is of no consequence though - blood glucose rises, insulin response kicks in, and restores equilibrium.

For those who actually understand how the human body works, this is the perfect answer... for those who don't... oh well.

Exactly. And if we really want to monitor our metabolic health it needs to be how much insulin we have in our system. We need insulin. But if we are resistant and our bodies are adding extra insulin to respond to glucose levels we are increasing risks of other health problems. But glucose is easier to measure (as of right now). So that’s what we do ☹️

• BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Any advice on the cheaper non-continuous blood glucose monitors? Although I'm not diabetic, I'm thinking of buying one for very occasional spot checks of my blood glucose at certain key times, such as first thing in the morning before breakfast, sometime after a meal (presumably the time of peak blood sugar), and then sometime after that (when my blood sugar should settle down).

It seems that most people either rarely get their blood sugar checked (because they're healthy and only get it for checkups) or test their blood sugar multiples times every day (because they're diabetic). There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Exactly. And if we really want to monitor our metabolic health it needs to be how much insulin we have in our system. We need insulin. But if we are resistant and our bodies are adding extra insulin to respond to glucose levels we are increasing risks of other health problems. But glucose is easier to measure (as of right now). So that’s what we do ☹️

that is not neccesary for most people

the advice for people who are have impaired glucose tolerance (or what some people are calling pre diabetes) is to be a healthy weight and avoid excessive sugar intake.

There is no need for CGM
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Any advice on the cheaper non-continuous blood glucose monitors? Although I'm not diabetic, I'm thinking of buying one for very occasional spot checks of my blood glucose at certain key times, such as first thing in the morning before breakfast, sometime after a meal (presumably the time of peak blood sugar), and then sometime after that (when my blood sugar should settle down).

It seems that most people either rarely get their blood sugar checked (because they're healthy and only get it for checkups) or test their blood sugar multiples times every day (because they're diabetic). There doesn't appear to be any middle ground.

I use the Relion glucose monitor. You can get it at walmart and the strips are very reasonable. I am not diabetic but certain foods just make me super sleepy and very lethargic. I wanted to find out why this was happening. It has really helped with how I feel. Foods that I did not think would cause a spike really raise it. I had two plums the other day and my BC shot to 190! I could just tell by the way I felt that my BS was high. DM if you have further questions.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    General available data doesn't show that there is any reason/need to have a continuous glucose monitor if you do not have diabetes.

And those who use them to ... eat something and then say -- -SEE my sugar went up this much! is very misleading.

They are often eating a singular food, which is high in sugar or carbohydrate in isolation. Most people don't do this. They also have some protein or fiber with their meal, which also affects how your blood sugar rises and falls. It's also important to remember that it is *normal* for your blood sugar to rise and fall throughout the day, when you eat. Sometimes I think, "great, good for you....your pancreas works, why don't you brag about it".
    There is also a consideration to be made about how/if people who do not need them - using glucose monitors because of a trend or misinformation may affect the supply chain for those who DO need them to save their lives. I know multiple T1 diabetics who've had issues with their glucose monitor or parts of it having to wait multiple days to get what they need. And TBF, those people should always also have a regular blood testing kit along with regular injectable insulin (that being affordable and accessible to everyone who needs it is another thing completely)...but if you are someone who's lived with a glucose monitor/pump combo --- it's very hard not to have that working properly and can cause a LOT of problems.

So, overall....not a fan of this trend. And having information for the sake of having it - when you really don't know how to use it properly isn't helpful for anyone.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »

I use the Relion glucose monitor. You can get it at walmart and the strips are very reasonable. I am not diabetic but certain foods just make me super sleepy and very lethargic. I wanted to find out why this was happening. It has really helped with how I feel. Foods that I did not think would cause a spike really raise it. I had two plums the other day and my BC shot to 190! I could just tell by the way I felt that my BS was high. DM if you have further questions.

Congratulations... you had a normal reaction to eating food (esp. sugary food like plums). Other than that, this is a meaningless data point. If you really want to see how your body is responding, you should check the BG at 1 hour and then 2 hours after eating to see if the BG readings have returned to normal levels. If they haven't, then you MIGHT have some reason to worry.

As to any benefits to CGM for non-diabetics, there are none that I can think of, beyond causing unneeded drama and grief like in the post cited above.