Pinpointing Your Weak Point

Options
Curious as to how others that lift to failure or near failure feel when they reach that point. This came to mind when thinking about which isolated lifts to incorporate into my program. For example, during my bench I start to feel my left bicep fatiguing first. When I squat, though I believe it's more general glute fatigue. Do you typically feel targeted muscle strain/fatigue? Or is it more generalized (CNS)? I guess I'm thinking if it's targeted fatigue in a compound lift then that's an area I can isolate, as opposed to generalized fatigue, which is indicative of muscle stress/activation across the muscle group(s).

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I do Oly lifts so I don’t usually notice one muscle fatiguing more than another - I either just end up too slow to get under the bar or can’t stand it up. Usually everything hurts 🤣
  • fritzbustillos
    fritzbustillos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Seeing stars while attempting PR whether its singles, doubles or triples in the big 3 (squat, deadlifts, bench), other than the occasional DOMS and post CNS fatigue.

But generally looking at the mirror or taking a video to assess weak points do at times help when I don't have a partner pointing out my mistakes. Also doing accessories to address some of those sticking points (e.g. board presses, rack pulls, pause squats, etc.).
  • sbalzer
    sbalzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you know about RPE?

It can help in assessing how close you are to failure.

byb0edt9hmvs.png