Eggplant recipes

catchtanya
catchtanya Posts: 15
edited September 21 in Recipes
Looking for yummy eggplant recipes that are tried and tested! Let me know your favorites. Thanks!

Tanya

Replies

• RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Oooh, well then, I have one for you! I try to try a new food each week, this past week was eggplant, this is what I used:
    Eggplant Parmesan
    Serves 2
    (found at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-Parmesan/Detail.aspx )
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
    1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
    1.Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
    2.Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy!!
  • kzulock
    kzulock Posts: 6
    hungry-girl.com lasagna. just search her website, and find the one that uses real noodles and eggplant. delish! heads up though, i have no idea how big your family is, the recipe only makes two really big portions, so you may need to double it to fit your family size. :)
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    I plan on trying this one today: (also found at allrecipes.com but I forgot the link)
    Eggplant Pizzas
    Serves 4:
    Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 (14 ounce) can pizza sauce
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Beat the eggs in a bowl. Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and oregano in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Dip each eggplant slice in the egg, then drop the eggplant in the flour mixture one at a time, shaking the bag to coat the eggplant.
    3.Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Place the eggplant slices in the skillet to cook, turning occasionally, until evenly browned. Drain the eggplant slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Arrange the eggplant in one layer on a baking sheet. Spoon enough pizza sauce to cover each eggplant slice. Top each eggplant with mozzarella cheese.
    4.Bake in the preheated oven until the mozzarella cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :drinker:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    there's a name for it, but i forget what it's called where you roast both eggplants and tomatoes in the oven or grill, then you remove the skins and mash together with garlic and onions.

my ukranian friend made it for us last year and it was SO good! with whole wheat pita, it's pretty much amazing, but you can use it on anything.
  • catchtanya
    catchtanya Posts: 15
    YUM ! Thanks!
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Cube baby egglplant and plum tomatoes. Add chopped onion. Toss with Balsamic vinegar. Put in roasting pan at 450 for 15-20 minutes. Top with feta cheese.
    Delicious. I make it all the time.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    sounds yummy...i will try it!
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    bump
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    these eggplant recipes look great cant wait to try them pot thanks so much for sharing
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    i've simply sliced it and grill it on the bbq w/ salt, pepper, etc...!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    there's a name for it, but i forget what it's called where you roast both eggplants and tomatoes in the oven or grill, then you remove the skins and mash together with garlic and onions.

my ukranian friend made it for us last year and it was SO good! with whole wheat pita, it's pretty much amazing, but you can use it on anything.

My mom makes it! amazing!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Here are a couple I've tried and liked:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Eggplant-Parmesan/Detail.aspx (I didn't stuff, but just diced the eggplant and made it into a casserole with the other ingredients)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-Eggplant-Parmesan/Detail.aspx (WARNING: This one is a little high in calories... but you can cut down on bread crumbs or cheese, or just enjoy on a day you have calories to spare!)
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Here's one of my favorite recipes to do with eggplant. It's not specifically low-calorie, but it's loaded with veg and is very filling. You can customize as desired (e.g., if you don't like mushrooms, leave 'em out; if you have lots of eggplant, use more), and add as much as you want.

1 medium or large eggplant, diced (don't salt it or peel it)
    1-2 large zucchini, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
    3-4 stalks celery, sliced
    1 large green pepper, cut into big-ish chunks
    12 oz. mushrooms, quartered (unless they're really small, in which case you can leave them whole)
    5-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or crushed
    2-3 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice
    1 small-medium roasting chicken (2-3 lb), cut into pieces with skin removed
    olive oil
    salt, pepper, basil, oregano, fennel seed, crushed hot pepper to taste

Put some olive oil in a large (seriously, this makes a lot, use a LARGE) stockpot. I probably use 2-3 T in mine. Cook the onion and garlic in the oil for a couple of minutes until they're soft. Add the chicken pieces. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Add the rest of the veggies (except the tomatoes) and stir well. Add the tomatoes 1 can at a time, crushing the tomatoes slightly with your fingers to release the juices. Rinse each can with a bit of water. Add enough tomatoes and water to just barely cover the chicken and veg. Stir after each addition to make sure everything is well mixed.

Cover and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Stir it occasionally as it simmers, and add more water if you think you need to. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the salt, pepper, basil, and oregano (or other spices if you want). Let the spices cook into it for 5-10 minutes and then taste it to make sure it's properly seasoned.

Serve over brown rice or pasta. If you want, sprinkle a little parmesan or mozzarella on top.

If you are really super concerned about fat, you can use boneless skinless breasts instead of the chicken pieces. However, you won't get as much flavor from them, and they may end up dry.

If you want it to cook faster, use boneless chicken cut into chunks instead of the chicken pieces. (I like boneless skinless thighs because they don't dry out as much as breasts, plus they're usually a lot cheaper.)

If you're like me, you'll end up with a ton of sauce left over once you've eaten all the chicken. If this is the case, you can just use the leftover sauce like regular pasta sauce. It's especially good on baked ziti or rigatoni.

You can also make this with pork or beef, but you might have to cook it longer to make sure the meat is tender. Or, you can omit the meat altogether.

[edit: added] Also, the sauce freezes really well, so you can store leftovers for a while.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Cube baby egglplant and plum tomatoes. Add chopped onion. Toss with Balsamic vinegar. Put in roasting pan at 450 for 15-20 minutes. Top with feta cheese.
    Delicious. I make it all the time.

this is soooo good. Thank you for recipe. I make it 1x a week. My husband loves it!!
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Oooh, well then, I have one for you! I try to try a new food each week, this past week was eggplant, this is what I used:
    Eggplant Parmesan
    Serves 2
    (found at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-Parmesan/Detail.aspx )
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
    1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
    1.Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
    2.Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy!!

I just made this recipe for lunch. I subbed in provolone and feta cheese for the mozzarella because I was out and I added a layer of baby spinach to the top. It was so yummy! Thanks for posting it. =)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I make a healthy eggplant rollatini that's to die for!

Take an eggplant, peel it and slice it lengthwise (long side), 1/4 - 1/2in thick.
    Saute the slices in a little bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes a side, should be sort of crispy when done.
    After letting them rest on paper towels for about 5 minutes, place the slices on a baking dish, then layer your favorite spaghetti sauce (I make from scratch), then a thin layer of skim ricotta cheese on top. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
    Spread more sauce on top of the rolls and some skim shredded mozz cheese to taste (your preference of how much).

Bake in 350 oven for about 15 minutes, then I broil for another 2 minutes to make the mozz cheese brown.

Enjoy!
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    I plan on trying this one today: (also found at allrecipes.com but I forgot the link)
    Eggplant Pizzas
    Serves 4:
    Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 (14 ounce) can pizza sauce
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Beat the eggs in a bowl. Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and oregano in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Dip each eggplant slice in the egg, then drop the eggplant in the flour mixture one at a time, shaking the bag to coat the eggplant.
    3.Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Place the eggplant slices in the skillet to cook, turning occasionally, until evenly browned. Drain the eggplant slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Arrange the eggplant in one layer on a baking sheet. Spoon enough pizza sauce to cover each eggplant slice. Top each eggplant with mozzarella cheese.
    4.Bake in the preheated oven until the mozzarella cheese is melted, 5 to 10 minutes.

This sounds like the South Beach diet pizzas. They are awesome!
This discussion has been closed.