Blisters and Running

Options
Here I am, training for my 5k and suddenly BAM a blister pops up while wearing casual shoes (just walking around my office caused this blister!!???)

So, how do you guys deal with blisters while running? I really hate taking too many days off (crankiness and whatnot).

I've used moleskin today and it worked semi-decently, but I am wondering if there are more tricks???

Thanks so much!

Replies

• LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I first started to run I developed blisters. I started wearing nylon footsies under my socks and that has done the trick for me. The rubbing takes place between the footsie and the sock...not my foot and the sock.
  • jmspies_wechanged
    Options
    I am a runner and have dealt with many blisters over the years. First off a good shoe that fits well. Where is your blisters forming?? Near toe go up a size on your shoe...sides of feet try a wider width shoe. Also good moisture wicking socks are a staple. Try wright socks. They are amazing. Also moleskin which is a skin protectant works awesome. Walgreens will have it.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No my problem isn't my running shoes.

My sneakers are great.

I got the blisters from everyday shoes I wear to work.

So I'm just asking what you guys do to "manage" the blister when you run???
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Lance the blister and squeeze out the fluid. Leave the loose skin on the foot. Put antibiotic on it and place a band-aid over it. If it's in a particularly troublesome spot, treat it with spray on bandage before putting the band-aid on it.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used to get blisters all the time from marching band in high school. Moleskin was my best friend.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    This stuff is fantastic:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GCRWNA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you already have a blister, do the bandaid thing and then cover it with a strip or two of this, long enough so the edges won't rub and "roll up."

I just found this after getting some blisters just before a big hiking trip, and it was a life saver.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I like Compeeds. They are a special blister bandage.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I always pop the blister and let it air out until it dries. Then clean it and put a band-aid on. Still hurts like a motherf*cker though.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but a runner friend told me to put New Skin over the blister. Worked like a charm. I also put a corn protector over the blister after the New Skin. I coudln't even feel it when I went for my walk the other day.
  • foody44
    foody44 Posts: 21
    Options
    Try to get blister plasters for now, and then some anti-blister double layer running socks for runs. Defo worth the buy. They helped me immensely!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking -- saving for later!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I found that moleskin+rub anti-friction stick over the top of it was the end all be all solution for me. The sock glides over the moleskin... I can run for hours.