Anxiety , depression, medications

Options
Good morning. I have come to the decision that I need antidepressant/anxiety medications. I have needed them for quite a while but have refused due to fear of weight gain as I have a long history of anorexia and bulimia ( 30 years to be exact I am 41 years old today started at age 11). I have been in therapy more times than I can count. I have been a RN since 2007 and do NOT want to be a nurse anymore but have no choice as thats how I support my family. I want to be a better wife and mom . Looking for peoples success stories on antidepressants that have not gained tons of weight. Thanks in advance .

Replies

• rsnsza
    rsnsza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, I am in remission from bulimia I had mostly between the ages of 13 and 23 (I'm 51 now). The meds don't trigger relapse, they help me stay in remission.
  • adebarrett4
    adebarrett4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support ! I hope you have a great day 1
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on prozac and clonopin since my mid 40's never gained weight. I actually lost weight on prozac. I am 70 now and I just need to stop procratinating and commit to an exercise plan.
  • _Hannahlouise_
    _Hannahlouise_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I have come to the decision that I need antidepressant/anxiety medications. I have needed them for quite a while but have refused due to fear of weight gain as I have a long history of anorexia and bulimia ( 30 years to be exact I am 41 years old today started at age 11). I have been in therapy more times than I can count. I have been a RN since 2007 and do NOT want to be a nurse anymore but have no choice as thats how I support my family. I want to be a better wife and mom . Looking for peoples success stories on antidepressants that have not gained tons of weight. Thanks in advance .

Hi, I have been on antidepressants for a while now, it does take time to figure out what works best for you also see if you can get some counselling to work alongside the medication as this can help a lot. In terms of weight gain maybe discuss with your GP about your fears and worries, eating disorders are lifelong and we can all relapse. Being an RN is stressful and can make anxiety/depression worse as we tend to empathesize with others and when we aren't in a mental;y good place that can be hard going. Maybe discuss with GP how all this is impacting you and maybe they can get you some sick time whilst you start some medication and counselling. Have you let your employer know how you are feeling?
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of antidepressants/anxiety for the same reason. I tried to stay off of them, but finally came to the conclusion that I need them to be functional! I've been on 5 or 6 different meds throughout my adult life. Currently on venlefaxine. Never had any weight gain from any of them. My weight gain always has to do with emotional eating and sugar addiction!
  • CasiGal
    CasiGal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about SSRIs that are considered weight neutral antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft, Trintellix. There are also other antidepressants (SNRI's) but they tend to be more activating, which you probably know as a nurse, and since you mention anxiety, may not be the right fit for you. It's great you recognize when it's time...trust that. I wish you all the best!
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doctor about your weight problem. That's what I did with my new psychiatrist- he had put me on mirtaz 10 mg and I was constantly hungry. I immediately realised that my previous shrink had me on it from 2016-17 and my weight loss had stalled. Dumb and slow that i am, I didn't understand that mirtaz was keeping me fat so didn't discuss with the shrink. I've been 80 kgs since then and the minute I stopped taking my meds(big mistake, but a blessing in disguise as I found a new shrink) I stopped overeating. My weight is 77 kgs as of today, not much of a significant loss but I am not stuffing my face with junk food out of constant hunger.
  • Wanderwoman6
    Wanderwoman6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m not depressed but I have been put on antidepressants to deal with anxiety and panic attacks I’m randomly having due to being in early menopause my hormones are a mess.
    I didn’t think this could be a cause of my weight gain. I will look into it now though.