Do you live with pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I am not sure if I missed it if anyone mentioned but what about WHAT you are eating? Have you done an elimination diet? I've been in the hospital several times for pain and all kinds of issues
    Until I changed WHAT I was eating nothing helped. Weight loss is based on calories. Digestion and health are more complex. I changed my life with a WFPB lifestyle. I'm very specific to my body and it changes. I was in er for massive black vomit, crippling pain and they told me a laxative and use mira lax regularly. Not one said change eating habits. MOST Doctors fIX symptoms not improve your life, habits.
    Look into doing an elimination diet, drink fluid, move more- even walking can help.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Constipation and pain after eating. Are you smoking weed by any chance, even if just 1-2/week? If so then stop, not just for a week but properly stop.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Glassyo, hope you get it all sorted out. No one needs anyone's permission to go to an emergency room. Taking preventative measures is better than a surgical cure. Don't let fear keep you from getting the help you need.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Sliiiiiight update.

I was fine. And then I ate. And now I'm not fine.

Oh god, am I gonna have to go on a liquid diet? I suck at those.

That's the point I'm at, and have been for the past 6 - 9 months or so. I'm fine until I eat solid food (anything solid, doesn't matter what) so now I'm on liquids only during the daytime. Once I get home from work and can be miserable in the comfort of my own home I start eating real food.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Sliiiiiight update.

UGH!
    You describe the way I felt for a whole summer. I ended up losing 50# over 3 months because the only things I could eat without stomach pain, were plain noodles and steamed zucchini. My primary care diagnosed me with gastritis, although she ran limited tests. I was prescribed something(can't remember what) that caused constipation, well probably that and lack of food caused it too. They attributed the whole disaster to stress.

I couldn't work, dh had to take over a lot of the family care. I couldn't walk without bending over due to pain.

Demand answers from your gastroenterologist! :) Nobody should have to endure what you're going through. There has to be an answer somewhere. :/

This reminds me of episodes I’ve had with what my doctor diagnosed as ‘post viral gastroparesis’.

Extreme cramping type pain - made worse by eating. As far as I understand, caused by any virus, even those not involving the gut at all. Apparently any virus can leave a smoothing of the gut walls that prevents the normal peristalsis of the gut. Typically waking in the early hours with severe pains, at a magnitude and frequency resembling established labour pains!

Solution according to my GP (and personal experience) is to eat the blandest food possible for as many days as it takes to alleviate the pain. Plain pasta, plain boiled white rice were the things my doctor suggested. And it works for me. I get this maybe once a year nowadays - always following a minor virus - seems as if it might be an immune response gone a little wrong? 🤷‍♀️
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Sliiiiiight update.

UGH!
    You describe the way I felt for a whole summer. I ended up losing 50# over 3 months because the only things I could eat without stomach pain, were plain noodles and steamed zucchini. My primary care diagnosed me with gastritis, although she ran limited tests. I was prescribed something(can't remember what) that caused constipation, well probably that and lack of food caused it too. They attributed the whole disaster to stress.

I couldn't work, dh had to take over a lot of the family care. I couldn't walk without bending over due to pain.

Demand answers from your gastroenterologist! :) Nobody should have to endure what you're going through. There has to be an answer somewhere. :/

Ok, that's way worse than my problem. I may moan and groan and gasp when I bend...or move...or take a deep breath but at least I can.

And stress? Really???? :)
  • glassyo
    Options
    Glassyo, hope you get it all sorted out. No one needs anyone's permission to go to an emergency room. Taking preventative measures is better than a surgical cure. Don't let fear keep you from getting the help you need.

I figure there's no reason to go a 3rd time. Both ct scans showed the same thing...ish. 😀 This is definitely a job for my gastro now.
  • glassyo
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Constipation and pain after eating. Are you smoking weed by any chance, even if just 1-2/week? If so then stop, not just for a week but properly stop.

LOL no but I did vote in favor of it in my state! :) I keep thinking I should partake so I don't get so pissed off at the drivers on the road when I'm out walking. If I can ever do that again.
  • glassyo
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I am not sure if I missed it if anyone mentioned but what about WHAT you are eating? Have you done an elimination diet? I've been in the hospital several times for pain and all kinds of issues
    Until I changed WHAT I was eating nothing helped. Weight loss is based on calories. Digestion and health are more complex. I changed my life with a WFPB lifestyle. I'm very specific to my body and it changes. I was in er for massive black vomit, crippling pain and they told me a laxative and use mira lax regularly. Not one said change eating habits. MOST Doctors fIX symptoms not improve your life, habits.
    Look into doing an elimination diet, drink fluid, move more- even walking can help.

Oh, fine, bring up the one thing I really don't want to do. 😛 <
    why was I not using this one the whole time?

No elimination diet yet but I've upped my fiber (I normally kept it low cuz of the ulcerative colitis) and I'm drinking more again. Er.....water....tea... whatever. 😀

Black vomit???? Ewwwwwww.

The move more advice makes me laugh, tho, because I'll be 100 years old and still crawling to get some exercise in. I never stop moving. 😁

But, yeah, the miralax actually seems to help for a bit but every day would get pretty expensive! Even the store brands.
  • glassyo
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Sliiiiiight update.

That's the point I'm at, and have been for the past 6 - 9 months or so. I'm fine until I eat solid food (anything solid, doesn't matter what) so now I'm on liquids only during the daytime. Once I get home from work and can be miserable in the comfort of my own home I start eating real food.

Do you space it out when you eat real food or eat a whole bunch of stuff together? That may also be part of the pain problem. Digesting a lot at once.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @glassyo;

But, yeah, the miralax actually seems to help for a bit but every day would get pretty expensive! Even the store brands.[/quote]

My husband uses this daily. I buy the clearlax from SAMS for about $23 for 3 full size bottles. I think Mirlax is around $25 for 2 full size bottles. (same stuff). Sams has the clearlax many times on sale for around $18 for a pack of 3 clearlax.
    His GP said it is ok to take this daily and he has been using for around 4 years. (He is regular...Me not so much, but I havent been very diligent taking this stuff)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    There you go. Our posts crossed paths and we're thinking the same thing. Go to the emergency room.

One doesn't go to the ER with the same pain that has been ongoing for 2 months unless directed to by a medical professional. You will sit for hours while the ER takes care (as they should) of trauma patients, heart attacks, strokes, etc. and in many cases one's insurance won't pay for it.

Go back to prompt case instead.

That's your prerogative. But I would think whether you do or don't depends partially on how your local medical system operates.

In quite a few places hospital ordered tests take place in hospital and the results come in faster than what labs will schedule and provide for tests ordered by your GP. Ultimately it is your call on what time trade offs you make.

Now that I know that the scans and blood tests don't indicate cancer... would your trade 4 or 8 hours of er waiting for a month of time before you start treating a tumor blocking one's intestinal tract? As an example, just curious .
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Oh, fine, bring up the one thing I really don't want to do. 😛 <
    why was I not using this one the whole time?

No elimination diet yet but I've upped my fiber (I normally kept it low cuz of the ulcerative colitis) and I'm drinking more again. Er.....water....tea... whatever. 😀

Black vomit???? Ewwwwwww.

The move more advice makes me laugh, tho, because I'll be 100 years old and still crawling to get some exercise in. I never stop moving. 😁

But, yeah, the miralax actually seems to help for a bit but every day would get pretty expensive! Even the store brands.

If you don't want to do a full elimination diet, what about a symptom tracker diary? If nothing else that could help your gastro with figuring things out. Eliminate dairy for a week (for example) and see how your symptoms go. Then try gluten, etc. Definitely keep working with your health care team.

I have been living with pain for several years, but I have a diagnosis, finally. With that comes hope for long-term management. Hopefully it's enough of a kick in the butt to follow through on the life values I've been deliberating on through the last two years.

I hope you find answers.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

LOL no but I did vote in favor of it in my state! :) I keep thinking I should partake so I don't get so pissed off at the drivers on the road when I'm out walking. If I can ever do that again.

Haha, nevermind. I'm in a group where people post with similar stomach problems, and surprisingly often they smoke weed. There's a medical condition for that. Was a spontaneous thought. I hope you find out what the problem is (btw, when I had similar problems it was likely my gallbladder. I've had problems for years until things got seriously acute and I got a scan.)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Sliiiiiight update.

Do you space it out when you eat real food or eat a whole bunch of stuff together? That may also be part of the pain problem. Digesting a lot at once.

I started out eating at normal intervals, like I have all my life, after the surgery. Eventually I learned that unless I want to be sitting at my desk in pain for most of the workday, no solid food until supper.

I still occasionally go for lunch with a friend or grab a treat if there are goodies hanging around the office but I pay for it for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I have a desk job and sitting causing the most discomfort.