Weights - where to start?

Options
I've read what I can find but I'm struggling to work out how to apply it to me and I hope you can help. I've been doing weights with machines since the beginning of the year. I'm stronger than I was but, from what I've worked out here, I can improve more using free weights. I've lost 18 lbs and I have another 16 to loose (to get to the top of the healthy BMI for my height). I'm eating a calorie deficit and the weight is moving nicely.

I work at a college where there is a gym I can use. The gym instructor is back in the next week or two when term starts, so I have the opportunity to have him help me but I need to know what I'm asking him to do. I've heard of strong lifts, lifting heavy and other stuff and I'm confused!

What do I need to talk to him about? I want to loose weight, I want to be stronger, I don't want to be bulky (I know, I'm a girl so that would be hard anyway). I run (C25K) and do DVDs so my general cardiovascular fitness is improving.

I'm a 5'4", 160lbs, 45 year old woman.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First, I would pick a program. StrongLifts, LiveFit, New Rules, whatever. Read the program. Then, ask the instructor to show you proper form and check your form. He could also help you figure out how much you should be lifting.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You can go in and tell him just that ("I want to lose weight and be stronger", leave out the bulky bit 'cause as you know it's not gonna happen), and (if he's any good) he should be able to put together a program that will get you to your goals.

It will help if you can figure out what you like and want to do. Do you want to lift heavy? (I think you should, both because it's going to be the most efficient path to your goal and because *I* think it's fun, but if you disagree - even the best plan is no good if you won't follow it.) Do you love bodyweight workouts that you can do anywhere? That's a valid path too. If you poke around youtube and look at different types of lifting videos - does the Olympic lifting look more fun than powerlifting, or do strongman events look entertaining? You don't have to pick anything, but if you go in saying "well, I'd like to try x" it'll give the gym guy an idea of what direction to go in, and clue him in that you don't want the 1000-calorie starvation/endless cardio plan.

Good luck!
  • Sophiespad
    Options
    Try first by getting a personal trainer who can do an assessment on you and start you out on a program based on what you need.
    Yes, it costs money for a trainer but you will learn how to properly use your body and avoid injury. A few sessions with a trainer will educate you on proper training and a plan to build on.