Cookies

Options
hjahangiri
hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
When I go to opt-out of non-essential cookies, and submit my Preferences, it appears to take. However, I am still presented with the generic "Accept" button each time I load the page. I feel as if I'm being forced to accept ALL cookies in order to use the site.

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Depending on which nonessential cookies you are opting out of, that could be preventing our site from saving your cookie preferences.

"Cookies are text files with small pieces of data — like a username and password — that are used to identify your computer as you use a computer network. Specific cookies known as HTTP cookies are used to identify specific users and improve your web browsing experience.

Data stored in a cookie is created by the server upon your connection. This data is labeled with an ID unique to you and your computer.

When the cookie is exchanged between your computer and the network server, the server reads the ID and knows what information to specifically serve to you." - https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/definitions/cookies

In essence, this means that depending on which cookies you opt out of, you may be preventing our website from being able to save your cookie selection. This has been the overwhelming answer to most issues of this nature in my experience.
    hjahangiri wrote: »
    Also, entering tags that have not been predefined does not appear to work, here.

This is intentional!

If you have further questions regarding cookies with our website, please feel free to reach out to our support team.

Answers

• hjahangiri
    Options
    Also, entering tags that have not been predefined does not appear to work, here.
  • mfpbreadtoaster
    mfpbreadtoaster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Username and password would be under "Required Cookies". As you pointed out, these cookies are required to enable core site functionality. There is no option to opt out of them, and this makes sense, in order to persist the user's session information.

I only opted out of Functional Cookies and Advertising Cookies, and this does not takes effect. Every time I return to the site, it says "Opt-out requests responded with error or timeout. Please try again". By California law, we should be able to opt out of having personal information sold for advertising.
  • hjahangiri
    Options
    Exactly!!! That first answer makes no sense at all, @durden - sorry. I'm sure Texas law doesn't provide as many privacy protections for its users, but wouldn't it just make sense to code the site in a way that provides protection to all users, and correctly distinguishes the MINIMUM number of "essential" cookies (as described by @mfpbreadtoaster ) vs. non-essential, and does not allow users to opt out of what's required to save the cookie preferences you, yourself, present as optional?
This discussion has been closed.