Question lol

Options
lynn1
lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
On my Fitbit it has calories burned; on MFP it say calories I’m allowing myself plus calories burned. Which should I go by or is it really a difference? Also I’m 5’5 weighing 211. How many calories per day would you suggest? I walk a minimum of 4 miles and that’s basically all the exercise I get. I calorie count!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    MFP shows you your base calorie goal (already taking into account your chosen weight loss rate) plus extra calories or being more active than your selected activity level and/or from exercising (sent over by fitbit, presuming you have them synced). That's a perfectly valid strategy.

Your Fitbit shows you your total calories burned, but doesn't take into account your chosen weight loss rate. So if you use that number, you'll have to subtract calories for weight loss (250kcal per day for 0.5lbs weight loss per week, multiplied if you're aiming to lose weight faster).

Both methods can work if applied consistently (using MFP's number would be more practical, I think). If your fitbit is synced with MFP the number should be similar/the same anyway.
    With that caveat that your calorie burn is based on statistical population averages and your fitbit may or may not be accurate estimating your burn. You may or may not be average, so the best thing is to choose a method for at least one or two mentirais cycles/months and then check if you lost weight more slowly or faster than intended, and then adjust accordingly.