Is your nutrient macro page what you go by? Or the macro meal breakdown?

Options
Gabigail11
Gabigail11 Posts: 1 Member
Good day,

I'm not exactly new, but I'm noticing that my macros are set (that's not an issue). The challenge is when I review my macro breakdown page, it looks as though my daily percentages often go over the set number, but I haven't met the prescribed grams (according to my macro nutrient page) of specific macros. Say my carbs say 50% but it might be set at 35% (for sake of the question) is that 50% based on the grams or the overall specific macro? Because it's really throwing my off for some reason.

I hope I asked the question correctly, sometime talking to someone is easier than writing.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The pie chart and macro breakdown will always add up to 100%, to show the relative amounts of calories from fat, carbs, and protein you have eaten. It will not reflect how much of a macronutrient you still need to consume to meet your calorie goals: that information can be seen by tapping More or home button then Nutrition. We recommend visiting this article for more information.

Keep in mind that carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 calories per gram. This ratio is important when calculating the percentage: (macro grams x calories per gram) / total calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Gabigail11 wrote: »
    Good day,

I'm not exactly new, but I'm noticing that my macros are set (that's not an issue). The challenge is when I review my macro breakdown page, it looks as though my daily percentages often go over the set number, but I haven't met the prescribed grams (according to my macro nutrient page) of specific macros. Say my carbs say 50% but it might be set at 35% (for sake of the question) is that 50% based on the grams or the overall specific macro? Because it's really throwing my off for some reason.

I hope I asked the question correctly, sometime talking to someone is easier than writing.

Thanks in advance!

The pie chart is only a snap shot in time and really should only be looked at after you're done for the day. If you eat a chicken breast for breakfast and that's all you've logged, your pie chart is basically going to show you 99% protein or whatever...it doesn't mean you've gone over, it is just representative of what you've consumed to that particular point in time. The grams in your diary are what you should be looking at as targets as they correspond to the total macro % breakdown for the entire day.
This discussion has been closed.