How did you get into the gym habit?

Options
13»

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of the ymca for quite a few years and have thrown a lot of money away. When I got serious after joining mfp ipicked 3 days a week and called them "y" days and I went no matter what almost as if it was a job. My family started expecting me to go so that helped keep me going on the days I didn't feel like going. I still have "y" days and then at times I pick up an extraay and start going on a 4th day but I am not as strict with the 4th day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I got up, drove to the gym, obtained a membership, went to workout...and then just kept repeating this 3x weekly. After a few weeks, it just becomes habitual and I actually get rather pissed if I have to miss a session.

It also helps if you have an actual plan and that you enjoy whatever it is you are doing at the gym. The only reason I joined the gym was because I wanted to get back into lifting and no way I could get all of the requisite equipment in my house (though that would be friggin' awesome). Even though I enjoy lifting, it was somewhat difficult intially as I would get off work and "just not feel like it"...but I made myself do it anyway. It would be almost impossible if you were going to the gym to do something you didn't enjoy. For example, I'd rather dig my eyeballs out of my head with a dull spoon that drone away on an elliptical..but that's just me.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice! I had a feeling it was going to come down to just doing it whether or not I want to, although I was still praying there was some magical thing that happens one day where I become uber motivated and just get to it!

As a matter of fact, you will hit that point. After about a month it'll become second nature, then you'll notice that on non-gym days you miss it, and as a result, you'll be uber-motivated to go the next day. My gym was closed all last week and it about killed me, I was going through severe withdrawals.

Rigger
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm so amazed by people who go super super early in the mornings. I thought I was hot stuff going to a 6am BodyPump class because it was SO EARLY - you all are rock stars! :drinker:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Foursquare. I gotta defend my mayorship.

That and it's 24/7 and a 1 minute drive or 5 minute walk.

I just lost my mayorship to my 1/2 marathon training because I would rather run out side. I am exercising 6 days a week but if I can manage it 4 of them are NOT at the gym but running outside because running on the treadmill is boring as all get out.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bring gym clothes to work and change their and go straight to the gym, before you go home. That works best for me. It's somewhat problematic when you forget your gym clothes, though...