I try and try and nothing, I could just cry!

Options
2»

Replies

• kkenney73
    kkenney73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and those that do, should really follow a low carb lifestyle. I have two children and my first happened right away after losing a ton of weight. I could not lose the pregnancy weight and it took almost 2 years and Clomid to conceive my 2nd.
    PCOS sucks!! Hang in there, get rid of the scale and maybe tweek your diet a little. Less carbs but up your calories.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You've already had great info. with carbs, I believe the bread/pasta carbs are more important. to me the fruits are ok, BUT thats me, and I don't have PCOS.

You can do this!!!

AND.... watch the beer. Tons of almost useless calories.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for more friends.

Consistency... so hard but so helpfu.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If you only have 20 pounds to lose, you are not going to be able to take off 2 pounds a week. Set MFP to lose .5 a week and NET your goal each day. The progress will be slow, but you should be able to lose. You have to feed your body enough to lose weight and 1200 calories is too low for most people.

DITTO
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    turn to the booze and cry some more
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Garcinia Cambogia? It is a natural fruit extract. Dr. Oz is recommending it and Rachael Ray has lost over 20 pounds on it. I don't ever buy any of the latest gimmicks and never have. But when I read about everything it does, I ordered it online. Google it or Dr. Oz and research it.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have had a hard time losing weight using cardio. I'd cut calories and I'd do cardio - never eating back what I was burning and the weight loss would stay flat. I'm 5'2" and weigh around the same amount as you do.

I finally went to the doctor to talk to her and see if maybe an insulin resistance med would help but unfortunately (or fortunately) she found that my insulin was exactly where it needed to be. Instead, she recommended during weight lifting. With the extra testosterone that women have with PCOS, our bodies are much bettter suited to respond.

I am finally seeing progress on the scale by lifting heavy weights 3 times a week, cardio twice a week and eating around 1700 - 1900 calories. And on weeks I don't actually lose weight, I can definitely see definition going on. I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years.

Go research your TDEE for calorie intake and a lifting program that you might like. I'm personally liking StrongLifts 5x5 but there's plenty out there. (Like this one! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm)

Good luck!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring all your portions? That is one area where people trip up a lot, not measuring. Also, it does not sound like you are getting adequate rest, and the body must have rest/ sleep to work properly.

I also have found if my calories go as low as 1200 my weight loss slows down. Try 1500-1700 calories instead. I am thinking you are probably underestimating your regular daily activity so MFP is giving you too low of a calorie recommendation. Also, keep in mind you are not very much over regular weight, so the weight will come off slower. The exercise builds muscle, so don't depend solely on the weight scale, measure yourself with a tape measure too.
  • MaryGrace1965
    MaryGrace1965 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ONE DAY, ONE STEP, ONE MEAL, ONE POUND AT A TIME. THAT'S HOW WE HAVE TO DO IT!!!!!!! You can do this. Keep on keeping on.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with IR. A combination of Metformin, heaving lifting, cardio, and dietary changes have helped me immensely! My diet was already high in nutrients, but I've found that avoiding refined carbohydrates and dairy (milk!) really help me. I would disagree with poster who mentioned fruit being a bad idea. I get graet results eating tons of fruit and skipping the pasta. I also found that I wasn't eating ENOUGH--1200 cal/day plus exercise calories. I was so tired and dizzy and just mentally cloudy all the time. Yikes! I cringe to think I was doing that to myself. Now, I'm steadily losing inches at 1800 cal/day and 2100 cal on lifting days. Yes, inches--not pounds. I'm not interested in scale weight anymore. I want to look hot! :wink:

I would definitely suggest seeing a nutritionist/dietician who specializes in PCOS/IR. It's been a great help to me. They can also help you weed through the Dr. Oz gimmicks and fad diets and get into a lifestyle you can live with.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Garcinia Cambogia? It is a natural fruit extract. Dr. Oz is recommending it and Rachael Ray has lost over 20 pounds on it. I don't ever buy any of the latest gimmicks and never have. But when I read about everything it does, I ordered it online. Google it or Dr. Oz and research it.

Yes, do that. And you will find that the good Dr. Oz has endorsed everything from Raspberry ketones and Acai berries to green coffee beans and now Garcinia Cambogia. If everything he endorsed did what he claims it should do, MFP would be a very lonely place.