Is there a way to directly add stuff from “my foods” into a recipe?

Options
There are just so many incorrect entries, and every time I make a new food I have to scroll so far to find it. Why can’t I just go into the ‘my foods’ tab and add it directly to a recipe? Furthermore, why can’t I use the search feature in the recipe creator to only search through my custom foods?

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,185 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is not possible to use custom items as part of the recipe creator at this time, nor do we offer a recipe search feature. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

Answers

• SMorin08
    SMorin08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am able to create a recipe using "my created food items" but, like you I have to scroll through everyone else's entries. I wish there was a way to limit the "food search" to only MY ENTRIES!!! If you ever find out how to do that, please post the answer.
  • TeresaWJ
    TeresaWJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    YES, A SEARCH FEATURE FOR OUR OWN RECIPES WOULD BE NICE. I have 25 pages of recipes.
    One work-around I've discovered for easier sharing of foods is that I can create a personal "remembered meal" that can be used to create a "recipe. This gives me the option to log it as a meal (for which individual ingredient values can be modified after being logged in) or used in recipe format (for which only serving amount can be modified). To do this, I start by logging the "meal" ingredients in my daily diary, then use "Remember this Meal" feature, and give it a unique name that will show up well in the search feature. For example, use a special character, or unique code word. Save that special named meal in your "Remembered Meals" group. Then open your personal recipes, use enter a recipe manually, and search for that special named meal as an ingredient. When you find it and bring it into the recipe, it will automatically populate each ingredient in the meal into the recipe. You can adjust amounts as desired to create a recipe that will serve more than one, or simply keep it as a single serving. Because I cook for a family, I rarely create recipes for myself only, and I will usually save the "remembered meal" in portions suitable for myself, but convert the "recipe" for more than one serving, which maintains the full recipe ingredients for reference when I want to make that recipe again for family. But remember--Recipes can only modify serving amount when being logged, and will not show individual ingredients. Remembered meals will list all ingredients separately and they can be removed, adjusted or portions modified individually. For a recipe where you do not expect to modify ingredients periodically, you can simply create it directly in the recipe creator. One final thought--I suppose you could save a single "my food" item as a remembered meal, with a unique name, and it would be eadier to locate for creating recipes. ??