What app is best for starting a couch to 5k? WITH interval training...

Options
julieguay9
julieguay9 Posts: 1 Member
A lot of apps jump right to 3min jog, I really am looking for something on a longer time line and broken down more. Any recs?

Answers

• shazmorgan
    shazmorgan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi @julieguay9
    I spent hours looking for an app or a 'plan' to suit an absolute unfit beginner. I found the same as you, it seemed expected that a beginner could already jog 3 minutes!

I set up my own interval, using my galaxy watch.
    I started myself with 15 sets of 30 second jog and 1 minute recovery walks. I did this everyday for two weeks. (approximately 20mins total time)
    Then I increased the jog to 45 seconds with one minute recovery walk (15 sets), daily for another week.
    Then minute for minute. (Maintaining the 15 sets)
    Then I kept the jog sets at a minute each, but started to decrease the recovery walks by 15seconds. This is the point in currently at...

I hope all this makes sense, and is relevant to what you are asking...
    Sharon 🙂
  • VanB124
    VanB124 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/5km/a760067/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/
    tmt3i4ql2pxt.jpg

This is the general plan I used years ago when I started running. I haven't run in ages and want to do a 5K in the Fall. I plan to start this plan to get back to it.

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did a free Zen app from my I phone. It started at 60 second runs and did this for 1 week (3 x's week). Then progressed to 90 second runs. An increase every week. This was an 8 week program. I finished this at the end of March. I repeated a couple weeks until I was ready to progress to the next level. (I think it took me 10 or 11 weeks to complete).

I liked the app as it told me when to run and when to walk. I could listen to music on my headphones too. I started on the treadmill and transitioned to the outside once weather permitted.

This C25K program gave me the structure I needed. BTW the 90 second run was a challenge when I started. Really shows you how fast you can advance.

Best of Luck!

This discussion has been closed.