When the scale fails to fall

Options
Hi all,

I bike to work everyday without fail, 5 miles each way and I ride hard. My fastest time was 20 minutes on my mountain bike. Over the past couple weeks I don't seem to have made much progress on the scale even though I have a caloric deficit of 500 or more everyday except the weekends where sometimes I break even and even rarely go over maybe 200cals I went over twice. I've started adding night rides of 45 minutes or more 3 days a week. Why no weight loss? Even though I have a deficit, could it be what I'm eating?

Replies

• TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It can be a number of factors like salt intake (water retention), calorie accuracy, muscle gain. My best advice is use the mirror. The mirror is the real scale. If you see your self getting smaller, leaner, toned up then its all paying off. The scale just drives me crazy sometimes lol.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I bike to work everyday without fail, 5 miles each way and I ride hard. My fastest time was 20 minutes on my mountain bike. Over the past couple weeks I don't seem to have made much progress on the scale even though I have a caloric deficit of 500 or more everyday except the weekends where sometimes I break even and even rarely go over maybe 200cals I went over twice. I've started adding night rides of 45 minutes or more 3 days a week. Why no weight loss? Even though I have a deficit, could it be what I'm eating?

Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. It has only been a couple of weeks and weight loss may not happen each week. Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? Would you be willing to open your diary?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Start blaming it
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Start blaming it
    It probably needs new batteries.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing! very frustrating :(:(:(
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing! very frustrating :(:(:(

Doesn't look like you have anything left to lose...
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Your weight will naturally fluctuate from week to week. It's better to just compare yourself to where you were a month ago.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this earlier, I thought it was great information. There are other links throughout this article that are equally informative. I spent a couple of hours on this site. I think it might explain a few things for you. I know you are not claiming starvation mode, but read it anyway and you'll see why it is relevant.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/