Healthy Chinese takeaway options?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The FIRST thing I do when I visit a Chinese restaurant is ask for a to-go container and immediately halve my food so that I'm not tempted to eat more than I should, especially since it's so high in sodium. Most Chinese restaurants will offer steamed options. I opt for the steamed veggies and steamed pot stickers, but sometimes indulge in dishes that are loaded with vegetables and proteins, such as chicken and green beans, beef and broccoli, or my fav, Chicken Kew (chicken with mixed vegetables). Oh, and I always ask for white rice instead of fried rice. If eggroll comes with the dish, I only eat half (who can pass up an eggroll?) and toss the other half in with my halved main course in the take-out container to enjoy the next day. When given a choice, I'll choose the wonton soup over egg-drop...less cholesterol and calories.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I always get the shrimp and broccoli and I ask for the sauce on the side. Chicken looks like it was just boiled and its plain but I can control how much brown sauce I pour over the top.

What an interesting idea, I never thought to ask for sauce on the side at a chinese takeout place. Definitely going to try that.

My problem is I love the brown sauce so much I would probably end up using it all even if it was on the side and then ask for more.... um... yeah i need to stay away from the Chinese place I think lol:noway:
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the food.

Give no f*cks for going over.....because, YUM, Chinese food!!

My feelings exactly! ...... that's why I need to STAY AWAY!!!! lol!
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mongolian beef, chop suey, kung pao chicken ( or any meat), cashew chicken, broccoli beef, szechuwan pepper chicken, chicken & green beans, shrimp and vegatables, beef in oyster sauce, beef w black mushroom sauce, curry chicken. If you want rice, you can get a single serving of brown or white rice. If you get a dinner plate. You can also get a fried item, and just have 1 serving, then get something like broccoli beef and steamed veggies or white/brown rice. And remember you can ALWAYS exercisr it off. If you want to splurge a little, go for it! Just honestly chart it so you know what your intake was. You can even add half today and half tomorrow, so you have time to wirk it off and dont have to do it all at once.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with staying away. This isnt a "diet" its a life style. Are you never going to eat chinese food again? Dont stay away. Eat in moderation. If you DO go over a few hundred cal, exercise.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with staying away. This isnt a "diet" its a life style. Are you never going to eat chinese food again? Dont stay away. Eat in moderation. If you DO go over a few hundred cal, exercise.

THIS.

You're much more likely to stick with your progress if you don't deny yourself completely. You want to make choices that you can stick by for the rest of your life, redefine your eating habits. Most people struggle with moderation when it comes to eating out because our portion sizes are so large. Even though Americanized Chinese food is high in fat, sugar, sodium, carbs, etc., there are still many healthy options available as long as you don't overindulge. The meals that tack on thousands of calories are generally fried or smothered in syrupy sauces. Add to that heavy carbs in larger portions than are necessary, and you're capable of killing your progress for the day. Which is exactly why we use MFP, right? To be conscious of how much we consume and how it affects our diet. Making smarter choices. But even if you go over your calorie goal a little, it's not going to make or break you. You just keep striving for progress and work it off.