Increasing running endurance?

Options
Is there anything specific I can do besides just running more? I try to run 2-4 times a week depending on my schedule and I've been pretty good at sticking to that for the past few months. I go for 2.5-3.5 miles each time, although it's generally in between 2.5-3. I can run 3 miles straight on a treadmill at 5.2 mph without too much trouble, so I'm not horrible or anything.

But I like to run outside much more, and my neighborhood and surrounding area is very hilly. I can almost never run more than 4-5 minute stretches (and it goes down to 2-3 minute stretches of running toward the end of my run) because the hills get me. I can tell that I've gotten better, but I feel like I've been at a standstill for the past few weeks. I feel like my runs and my endurance depend SO MUCH on how tired I am and how many carbs I've eaten recently. As a college student who never sleeps enough and doesn't have a regular lunch break, this makes it more difficult for me. I'd like to get to the point where I can run up most of the hills and then continue running and not having to cut my run short at 2 miles if I didn't get enough sleep the night before.

Maybe I'm just wanting more than is possible, but does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1.) Get the right amount of sleep. This can be tough in college, but sleep does a world of good...
    2.) Eat right. Balanced diet with good macros should give you more sustained energy.
    3.) Think about healthy snack solutions for "crazy lifestyle" eating. Protein bars, ziploc bags of trail-mix/nuts, banana, etc.
    4.) Drink plenty, stay hydrated. It can sneak up on you.
    5.) Keep at it. Rome was not built in a day. The more you run, the more distance you put in, the better you'll get.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Two words. Slow down.

If you are forced to take walk breaks that frequently, then you are likely running too fast. Slow down and the fitness will come.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with Carsonruns. Most new runners try to run too fast. Remeber that slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Keep your walk breaks to less than a minute.

You could do a speed workout once a week. Try running a 1/2 mile at your normal pace. Then 60 sec at fast pace that is uncomfrotable for you. Maybe a 6.5. Then slow it down to 4.5 for 30 sec. Keep repeting until you hit 2.5 miles. Then run at your normal pace for 1/2 a mile. I have been doing this for the past 3 months (but with differnt speeds) and have seen large resutls.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do think you need to make sure you are running slow enough to sustain your pace. I also think you need to run more. You need to build up your base.

I started at 13 min miles. Got to running 5k 4 times a week and wasn't improving. Worked on getting my mileage to 20 a week and got my 5k down to 29:52. I kept running, started building to 25 miles per week and climbing and my 5k is now just under 27 mins and still improving.

You just have to keep working. Speed work is something you can add after you've got your endurance up some.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try to run with someone. It is amazing how much that helps. Misery loves company and you will go much further than you thought you could on your own.

The rest of the advice is very good although based on the pace #'s quoted here I don't think you are pushing it too hard so I wouldn't see slowing down as the answer. If you were running sub 8 min pace and having trouble I could see ramping down to 8:30 to 9 min, but when you are already going slow, I don't think that is the answer.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The rest of the advice is very good although based on the pace #'s quoted here I don't think you are pushing it too hard so I wouldn't see slowing down as the answer. If you were running sub 8 min pace and having trouble I could see ramping down to 8:30 to 9 min, but when you are already going slow, I don't think that is the answer.

Appropriate pacing is entirely individual. 11 to 12 minutes miles could very well be too fast for the OPs current level of fitness.

OP, take your heart rate periodically (like when you have to walk). The most efficient way to develop your aerobic fitness is to keep your heart rate below 70% of max. Right now, that might mean walking up hills. It seems counter-intuitive, but you will get better faster this way than if you always push yourself to maintain a higher heart rate. Also, if your runs have a lower perceived effort level, it will be easier for you to increase how much you run.

Increase your weekly mileage gradually, and keep those miles slow enough that you can talk to someone (running with someone helps a lot with this, too) and you'll be surprised at how fast you improve.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I, also, would suggest slowing down. Run as slowly as you need to in order to continue running.

Also, hills are tough and adding some strength training in a few days a week will make it much easier. Do some squats, lunges, push ups and sit ups. Soon those hills will be begging for mercy!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I always agree with Carson. Slow down. I would also add this. When it comes to hills, walk to them, and then run up them. Don't run to the hill and walk up it. Hills can be tough, but they will make the flat areas seems easy. And run longer. If you are doing 2 or 3 miles or so, make it 4 on one of your runs, even 5. It might mean cutting the other days back. I have found the best strategy, Is two short runs and a long run. IE: 2-2-5 If you can run 4 days do something like 2-5-2-3 in stead of 4 3 mile runs.

And sleep matters.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You have received some really good advice so far.

I think you already know what part of the issue is. When you don't eat right or get enough sleep, your ability to run well suffers. So, try to get your sleep and eat better. Not only will your running improve, your college studies will improve as well!