Not Losing Weight

Options
marymtaylor5285
marymtaylor5285 Posts: 2 Member
I am a 64 year old woman who has been on a plant based diet since 11/1. Started using the app in January. I am doing everything right. I should have lost 40pounds by now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    Eating plant-based doesn't guarantee weight loss, you need to be in a calorie deficit. So how many calories have you been consuming? How are you measuring your food intake: weighing everything, making sure you're using accurate food database entries, creating MFP recipes for home-cooked meals?
    How tall are you? What's your current weight? And your activity level?
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Certain plant based substitutes are actually higher in calories. It's still about managing Calories in < Calories out.
    Food and dietary changes won't show any weight loss results without a calorie deficit.
  • marymtaylor5285
    marymtaylor5285 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories a day, do my daily steps and weights three times a week.
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi asked some good questions. It’s hard for anyone to give you specifics without more information. How tall are you? How much weight are you trying to lose? Are you just starting on this journey or have you already lost weight and now you are stuck at a temporary plateau?

How many are your daily steps? Weights don’t burn calories - they build muscle, which is very important for those of us in our 60’s. Cardio burns calories. Are your steps cardio - a brisk walk or treadmill? Or are your steps just walking around doing normal daily activities?

How did you decide on 1500 calories? A weight loss program is all about CICO (calories in calories out). That may or may not be the right target for you.

Your decision to eat plant based, was it made specifically for weight loss, other medical reasons, ethical reasons, something else? Is it vegan? I have seen some use the term loosely. As @88AViva said, some plant based substitutes are actually higher in calories that their omni counterparts. Plant based does not necessarily low calorie.

Are you weighing and measuring your food every day? If not, how are you determining that you are eating 1500 calories? Are you drinking an elephants weight in water every day? How much salt do you take in each day?

You say you’ve been using the app since January, yet your profile says you joined in April. We’re you here under another name?

Everyone here is willing to help, but no one can answer your question as posed. Maybe find someone here who has done very well and befriend them. Make your food diary open to them and let them review it with you. They may see something that you are overlooking.

I wish you much luck!

If you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right. - Henry Ford
This discussion has been closed.