False hunger caused by coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Black coffee and green tea make me feel like I'm starving. This isn't uncommon for people who have any kind of stomach acid issues like acid reflux, because the sensation of high acid can feel like raging hunger. It doesn't happen for everyone, but it is not rare either.

I can have black tea just fine though, so that's what I drink. I never had this issue when drinking coffee with milk, but now that I do IF, I just drink black tea. On the rare occasion it sets off my stomach, I take an acid reducer and then I'm fine.

If black coffee does this to you, then don't drink black coffee.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    So many different responses to coffee/caffeine. I find that coffee decreases my appetite noticeably. Although I like it black with no sugar, I usually drink it with 'creamer' that is fake sugar and fake cream along with vanilla flavoring (no doubt, fake). It is somewhat embarrassing that I prefer my creamer to the real stuff (I have no explanation). I am also a tea drinker, but I do not find any appetite suppression with tea. I also don't find energy from it either.

Caffeine pills: Someone noted that they come in 50 mg. Please know that they come in various dosages. Mine are 200 mg (large cup of coffee) and I have had some in the past that were 160 mg. I use the pills when I am unable to get a cup of coffee in the morning.
  • Anobono
    Anobono Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jrlo561974 wrote: »
    For me it was a mental association with black coffee and sweet snacks, especially in the evening after dinner. I wasn't hungry, it just made me feel good. I also had some problems with gastric reflux, but it was the sweets, not the coffee. After a couple of weeks with no sweets in the house I began to enjoy my evening coffee solo.

Does the caffeine keep you up? If I have a coffee at the end of the afternoon or later, I don't get to sleep until 1:00 AM.
  • Anobono
    Anobono Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, try inclining your bed. I was able to drop some serious GERD meds doing that(after 25 years on them). Sleeping is where some serious damage is done.

I do raise my head some. On the worse nights, I sleep on my back on my wedge pillow. on the better nights, I pile up 3 or 4 pillows. Recently, I've been able to sleep almost flat with just one pillow.

I'm finding that after being on reduced calorie diet for the last 5 months by now, and losing 29 pounds so far with 10 - 15 to go, my GERD symptoms have decreased quite a bit. I'm not taking any PPI medication, and there are days now where I don't take any Gaviscon. Before that, it was Nexium (or whatever) every day, plus tons of Gaviscon. With less food, better food, almost no coffee, drastically less ice cream and cheddar cheese, my general condition is improving.

Since I wrote the original post over 2 weeks ago, I've had coffee on more days, but I don't like the aftershock anymore. First it WILL mess up my stomach/oesophagus. Second, I'm finding that I hate the jitters! I had two cups of home brewed dark roast yesterday, and I felt just beside myself. It was unpleasant, and I was eager for the buzz to subside. Yet, part of me still loves the first rush from caffeine. Drugs are a hell of a drug as the memes say!!