1200 Calories A Day??????

Okay. I am pretty new to counting calories. I didn't want to do it, so I didn't. Now, however, I FINALLY feel serious about losing weight. My question is, how can a person possibly get everything they are supposed to eat in a day nutrition wise in 1200 calories?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    They can't. Figure out your BMR and TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Depends - I found that it wasn't enough for me. I was hungry, tired, grouchy - I need more fuel than that.

Did you set your weekly loss goal to 2lbs when you entered your info at MFP? If so, change it to 1lb a week - by your ticker on your profile it looks like you only have 35lbs to lose, so 2lbs a week is too aggressive a goal. This will also raise your daily calorie goal a bit.

Some people do the 1200 and swear by it, but many more say it's not enough, they can't stick to it, they're hungry, etc. I figure there's no way I can eat just 1200 a day for the rest of my life, so I upped mine.

MFP works great, as long as all the info you give it is accurate and realistic as far as goals. Pick a reasonable loss rate, eat your calories, and your exercise calories if you workout - that's important too, and the way MFP is set up to work. Your daily goal already has a deficit built in, so you could eat to goal, do zero exercise and lose weight. When you burn off cals through exercise you are creating a much larger deficit, which can backfire on ya and isn't good for you in the long run. That's why MFP will add the burned cals back into your daily goal. Your net cals should be at or close to goal each day.

Hope that helps - good luck! :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    A couple things:

1200 is the starting point. With MFP you will "earn" extra calories if you workout. These extra calories don't show up until you log the workout.

Also, 1200 is as low as MFP will go. Example: If you plugged in "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" ..... MFP may have to go down to 1200 ...... If you plug in "I want to lose 1 pound per week" ..... you might get a higher number. The closer you get to goal, the slower the weight is going to come off. When you get to within 10 pounds of goal ..... 1/2 pound per week is a pretty decent number.

You can do quite a bit with 1200 calories. I workout so I eat more. It's just making everything count. I look for the highest protein, highest fiber everything. I try to cut out processed food, that helps a lot. Make veggies your new best freind.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Okay. I am pretty new to counting calories. I didn't want to do it, so I didn't. Now, however, I FINALLY feel serious about losing weight. My question is, how can a person possibly get everything they are supposed to eat in a day nutrition wise in 1200 calories?

When you exercise, you get more calories...you're supposed to eat those and NET to your GOAL. Also, it's a pretty aggressive approach...how much do you have to lose? Everyone just automatically picks the most aggressive approach because they want to go fast. If you don't have a lot to lose, it's probably too aggressive for you and your body isn't going to respond very kindly to a big calorie deficit if you don't have the requisite fat stores to back it up.

Also, yes...it can be very difficult to get your requisite nutrition with that few calories, particularly if you're sedentary and don't earn those extra calories to eat back. It can be done, but you really have to be on it as far as nutrition goes. I'm glad you're actually concerned about that fact...all most people care about is weight loss; they could care less about actually being healthy and getting proper nutrition. Kudos...
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    1200 is the level suggested for people who want to lose quickly. It's not a huge amount of food, but it's not a Very Low Calorie Diet. You have to research meals. I'm sure there are some posts with menus on the forum.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

The only way to do it is to become OCD and plan every little thing. As for me, I'd rather be patient and eat at 2000 calories, giving myself leeway and never having to plan anything. I just log what I eat.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member

read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member

I do it every day. I exercise too so that allows me to eat something more if I still feel hungry. Change doesn't come from your comfort zone. I have lost over 20 pounds and find I am fine with 1200 calories plus the calories I can eat back from exercising. Plus, if I feel like I need to eat something, I will, and not beat myself up about it.:tongue:
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Wow! You are getting responses from one end of the spectrum to the other! Yes, it is possible to get proper nutrition at 1200 calories, and it is easy to earn more calories by exercising, so you can determine how much or how little you get to eat. I've been eating 1200 calories (with a couple hundred extra most days from exercise) for more than two months now and have lost 2 lbs per week every week. Some days I'm hungry as heck, though, and you will just have to learn what works best for you. For me, a hearty breakfast makes all the difference in the world. When only eat yogurt for example, I'm starved by lunch, and then can't seem to get satisfied all the rest of the day.

And, I don't believe you have to become OCD, but it does help to log everything so you can see your patterns. Luckily, MFP makes this very easy, and almost fun!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member

If I recall correctly, I think the whole 1200 calorie "rule" was that it was believed that was the minimum number of calories that needed to be consumed to ensure proper nutrition. It may be possible to get the non-calorie nutrients you need for fewer calories, but it probably entails being very detailed in your plans.

The main problem I have is that some people tend to gravitate towards it as a magical rule in lieu of actually doing the math and seeing what their caloric requirements are. I know someone who, when you incorporate the 500 calorie defecit, is looking at a target of just over 1300 calories. In my case, if I wanted to have that same 500 calorie defecit, I'd still be eating 2700 calories a day because you have to factor in the fact I'm bigger, younger, and more "aggressively active" than this other individual.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Thank you all so much. At first I did put in that I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, but upon further thought, I changed to to 1. The calorie count didn't change.

Not sure I can do any of this, since I am 52, and have been a compulsive overeater since I was a teenager, but I have to try.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Well, I wan't able to do one of the body fat test, since I'm at work and don't have all the measurements, but the one I did shows a whopping 43.5% body fat! I think that is a bit more than I actually have, but anyway the next test showed that even if Sedentary I could have 1500 calories.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member

It is a lot easier than you think to get all nutrition on 1200 calories per day.

The problems arise when people still want to eat treat after treat, this is not possible on 1200. Eat all nutrition first and then if you have calories left over, THEN have treats.

but yes, not only is it possible, it is perfectly do-able, just some people beg to differ and do not like it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    you don't have to. I lost all this weight eating over 1600..plus my exercise calories. I had plenty to eat, and plenty of variety...and didn't need to deprive myself of anything....just give it a bit more thought than I used to.
  • Ocarina_Of_Time
    Ocarina_Of_Time Posts: 12 Member
    You can do quite a bit with 1200 calories. I workout so I eat more. It's just making everything count. I look for the highest protein, highest fiber everything. I try to cut out processed food, that helps a lot. Make veggies your new best freind.

That's comforting to know because on days when I don't do anything but stretch and walk I don't go above 1200 - 1800 calories. It kind of worried me but I guess it's OK as long as you aren't spending 4 hours in the gym.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Isn't 1200 calories an absolute minimum suggested by MFP? On rare occasions I've had under 1200, I get a warning in red writing under my diary.

Anyway, back to the point. I couldn't survive on 1200 calories, even though it will be a while before I'm down to that many suggested calories. I would probably go with TDEE - 20% option.

If you are going with the MFP way, then exercise is the key to being able to eat more. I recently took up swimming (as well as going to the gym) and that gives me 500+ calories extra to eat back, plus the 300+ I earn in the gym.

Exercise is key to earning your food.

Good luck!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Thank you all so much. At first I did put in that I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, but upon further thought, I changed to to 1. The calorie count didn't change.

Not sure I can do any of this, since I am 52, and have been a compulsive overeater since I was a teenager, but I have to try.

Eat at your BMR, you'll be much happier!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member

It is a lot easier than you think to get all nutrition on 1200 calories per day.

The problems arise when people still want to eat treat after treat, this is not possible on 1200. Eat all nutrition first and then if you have calories left over, THEN have treats.

but yes, not only is it possible, it is perfectly do-able, just some people beg to differ and do not like it.

Well said Di, I agree.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    TONS of research and planning on what to eat.
    Post, delete, change portions, blah, blah.
    I have said good bye to potatoes for the rest of my life. yikes !
    Even steamed baby reds.
    Wow. Tough. But WILL, be worth it !
    Day 13 today.
    As each day goes by it will be easier to figure out meals.
    I think.
    I love to cook...hmmm difficult to figure calories.
    Keep it simple. :)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    You CAN do this !
    I just turned 55 this week.
    Add me as a friend if you want.