The Skinny on the U.S. growth of the fat people

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    What else can we do?

I vote we change the definition of obesity.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Everyone says they agree on keeping/upping PE in schools, but very few actually want to shell out the extra tax bucks to keep it up.
  • RGv2
    Options
    What else can we do?

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What else can we do?

Cheapest solution IMO
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options

Obesity is not a contagious virus. People are obese for many different reasons including genetics

There is actually no genetic link to obesity.
  • bananahb33
    bananahb33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that this post really belongs on this forum but I think it is an important topic.

I think that one of the biggest issues we need to address are the messages we send children about food. No more soda machines, candy machines, in schools. My high school's lunch menu was curly fries, pizza, noodle cup, pop tarts. It's not as big of a deal in high schools, granted, but most middle and elementary schools are the same way. Any many kids really do rely on that food. One of the reason the obesity rates are higher for lower income households is probably that the kids on free and reduced lunch are being taught that tater tots are an acceptable side dish to any and every meal.
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sad.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that no one is responsible for my obesity but me and the bad choices I made in the past. I did find this article interesting, though. It looks at the bigger picture of obesity as a public health issue. It's even affecting pets and lab animals in this country. http://news.discovery.com/animals/fat-pets-obesity-weight.htm
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Obesity is not a contagious virus. People are obese for many different reasons including genetics

Think they may have been referring to genetic diseases like Prader-Willi contributing to a specific individual being obese (yes, they still eat more than they burn, but when you are literally always hungry ... ). Not implying that genetics is linked to obesity in general.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    TL; DR

OP is just creating new threads to post a bunch of copy paste garbage from different websites.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    we don't need it anymore, same logic as unions. (Oops I probably just opened up a hge can of worms :tongue: )

I'm not a big fan of unions myself, but the decline of unions has coincided with falling wages for more than half of all Americans and public policy played a huge role in that. Policy on economics, public health, etc. matters. Maybe that's not the way it ought to be, but that's the way it is.

Government policy had a role in creating the obesity problem. Highway building and zoning regulations favor suburbs where people drive everywhere over cities where they walk more while reducing the amount of farmland outside cities where local produce was grown. Keeping wages low through trade agreements, reduced regulations, union-busting, etc. made people poorer and we know lower income correlates with obesity.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    60 years ago, school lunches were introduced because too many young men were unfit for military service due to malnutrition. Now, potential military recruits are too fat.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What will we do?

Let's start temperance leagues and anti-vending-machine organizations. Let's beg the government to outlaw calorie-dense foods. There must be a new amendment to make it effective nationwide. That will fix everything and we'll be a great nation once more. Proving once and for all that public policy is the solution.

And when that happens, you'd better watch out for the bacon cartel. They'll be great and powerful.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    And of course, there is always the possibility of the Twinkie Tax.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is NOT true.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone says they agree on keeping/upping PE in schools, but very few actually want to shell out the extra tax bucks to keep it up.

We should cut geography to fund it, because Google Earth.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When more than a quarter of the population is hit by an epidemic it just doesnt become the affected individual who is responsible it become all of our responsibility.

I have no answers NO ONE has the answers...its such a multifaceted state of emergency. It's very scary
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Practically everything about you is linked to your genetics.
  • RGv2
    Options
    When more than a quarter of the population is hit by an epidemic it just doesnt become the affected individual who is responsible it become all of our responsibility.

I have no answers NO ONE has the answers...its such a multifaceted state of emergency. It's very scary

Do you think part of the problem is the absolutely absurd definition of obesity......technically I'm obese.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I would say that I'm on the "larger" side because of my economic status. Growing up, my parents didn't have much money, and therefor, they bought what was cheap. Kraft Mac & Cheese, Hot Dogs, and Ramen Noodles. That's what I ate for most of my life. I wasn't taught, until a lot later, that these things were bad. Who wants to spend 300$ buying "good" food for 5 people, when you can buy 10 boxes of Kraft for 10$ and almost a whole flat of Ramen for the same? Especially when you can barely afford to pay your bills? There are problems with our country, but I don't think that making the government baby us through them will fix anything. We have to hold OURSELVES accountable for our actions as well and stop placing the blame on someone else (things us Americans tend to do in excess). Just because a Cheetos commercial blasts it in your face that Cheetos are awesome, does not mean that you have to go out and buy Cheetos. The same goes for everything. Snacks are not bad, our problem is that when people can sit down and eat a whole bag of chips in 1 sitting and think that's okay.