I need to Gain Weight

Options
For the last year I've been on this site to try and lose weight and 3 months ago I got very sick and spent a lot of time in the hospital and because I wasn't allowed to eat for the entire time I was there besides a food tube, I lost 30lbs. I was classified as high risk for being severely malnourished. Now the doctors want me to gain ten more pounds in just three weeks so I can go back in for more surgery, but I don't want to gain it all back in fat. I've lost most of my muscle mass in the time I was stuck in a bed though, and can only do light weight lifting and running is too difficult as of now. Does anyone have any suggestions to gain weight in a healthy and safe manner so that I don't have to get fat to gain weight? Any advice is welcome :)

Replies

• BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say that I have absolutely no advice on this, but I just wanted to say I hope you're feeling better and that your surgery goes well. I'm sure some people with more knowledge on this one will be chiming in soon :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Increase the amount of calories you eat a day and have those calories be from healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, lean protein, etc. Do what you can to get your muscle mass back as that will give you some extra weight; just know that building muscle mass will require extra protein so look into protein bars, shakes, powder, etc. When I do muscle building workouts, I take 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 cup milk and 1 scoop protein powder and blend into a protein shake and drink. Easy to get down and tastes great. Hopefully these suggestions help!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I You could add meats (steak, beef) to help, fruits and veggies, since your body is undernourished its going to want to soak up all those cals and nutrients, so take it slow.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein, and lots of natural food (veggie and fruits), but make sure to get in some of those healthy fats too (olive oil, avacados, wild salmon, even an Omega 3-6-9 suppliment if needed). Good luck to you!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about what you're going through...Definitely eat things that are healthy. Maybe try and eat things that have the "good" fat like peanut butter and nuts. Hope all goes well!!