What's so great about avocado, anyway?

Options
When I was little, I loved to eat guacamole. That's really the only thing I can ever remember eating with avocado in it... Around the time I was 10 I was getting an upset stomach after eating it but I didn't care because it tasted so good. By 13 I would get the absolute worst stomach cramps (curled in a ball crying cramps), horrible headaches and just a general feeling of "please, God, just let me die now." It was so bad that if someone snuck it into a food and I found out before the symptoms started, I would try to make myself throw up and I HATE, HATE, HATE throwing up. Also, for anyone who is interested, I saw a nutritionist and she said the most common cause of an avocado allergy is a latex allergy... which is true for me :/

So anyway, it seems like everyone says "EAT AVOCADO!" I know they have healthy fats, but is that the only reason? If there is some other thing in it that is essential to good health or weight loss that I don't know about? I kind of feel like I'm missing out! :)

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You're not.

Avocados have healthy fats, antioxidants, are satiating, yada, yada, but nothing you can't get from other foods. Other than the taste, of course.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    They taste good? Obviously, not so much for you, but you're not missing out on anything life changing just because you can't stomach them...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If I could prove that they were the most amazing food known to man, would you start eating them again?
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It' fricken delicious, that's what.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For people who have a hard time getting potassium, they are a good source. Probably not worth the severe cramping for you.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've never liked avocado. You're not missing anything. Yes, it's "good" fat, but it's also high in calories. Eat some nuts if you want some good fat.

Sorry about your latex allergy, no fun.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is what's so great about them.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For people who have a hard time getting potassium, they are a good source. Probably not worth the severe cramping for you.

Chicken breast and tomato paste are two of the best sources I know of. Lots of people don't seem to know that.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Because the taste freakin' delicious, but nothing is magically about them if your stomach cannot handle them don't eat them .
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Chicken breast and tomato paste are two of the best sources I know of. Lots of people don't seem to know that.

Kazakhstan, number one exporter of potassium
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If I could prove that they were the most amazing food known to man, would you start eating them again?

About that, I meant to post "If so, is there anything that I could eat that would simulate the effects (or affects...?) of avocado's nutrients/health benefits? :)"

Thanks for the responses
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado because guacamole is one of the greatest things ever.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    What's so great about avacado?! :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It gives me a SEMI
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    It's also another carryover from the current Paleo trend. Same with the current trend of eating a pound of bacon in a sitting or cooking everything in an inch of saturated fat.

The thing is that a paleo diet is no good for people who aren't doing the kind of exercise that actually uses the caloric intake paleo suggests. That's why most crossfitters swear by paleo; it fuels their workouts. But will it work for a distance runner? Not really, no.

Cherry picking items out of a paleo diet is gonna become pretty dangerous sooner or later, if it hasn't already.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't like it, either.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It's also another carryover from the current Paleo trend. Same with the current trend of eating a pound of bacon in a sitting or cooking everything in an inch of saturated fat.

The thing is that a paleo diet is no good for people who aren't doing the kind of exercise that actually uses the caloric intake paleo suggests. That's why most crossfitters swear by paleo; it fuels their workouts. But will it work for a distance runner? Not really, no.

Cherry picking items out of a paleo diet is gonna become pretty dangerous sooner or later, if it hasn't already.
    *snort*
    So if I'm not Paleo, I should stay away from bacon and avocado?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're very good for you, and many people find them delicious.

But if you don't/can't eat them, you'll just get nutrients elsewhere. It's like if you couldn't eat carrots. Well, you'd just eat something else.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    They're magic. I'm sorry that you're missing out on this super food.

You can always eat more quinoa and flax seed and wash them down with wheat grass or coconut oil shots.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    They're just awesome balls of awesomeness.