I have been in a calorie deficit for around 6 months. Shall I keep going?

xMidox
xMidox Posts: 42 Member
I have been in a calorie deficit for around 6 months, my highest is 172cm I started the journey while I was 70kg with 24% body fat (measured by weight home scale) Now I am 64 but my scale still shows me that I am 21% body fat. Can you Keep going with the caloric deficit? From the pictures can you guess my bf%?

n1y2ti2cscqg.jpg
mdg3nyr6dsyy.jpg
iow6xkbm8lsx.jpg
7udadg6t58sp.jpg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Those types of BIA scales are often inaccurate, sometimes inaccurate all of the time, sometimes sporadically inaccurate. Especially if they are just two sensor models as then they aren't even attempting to guesstimate your BF% from your entire body's electrical resistance.
    If just foot sensors how lean or muscular your legs are makes a big difference. As does your hydration levels so consistency is needed.

I would guess you are under 20% and over 15% but that's just a guess.

Yes you can continue to get leaner if that's your wish, you should probably lose more slowly as you get more lean.
    You could also decide you are happy where you are as you look to be in a healthy BF% range.
    You might also benefit from a diet break at maintenance for a while if you do decide to continue to lose.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    edited May 2022
    What sijomial said. :)

You look great, ignore the scales - they're gimmicky. Does it really matter the exact percentage? If it does then get the numbers from a professional bodpod or other type device. I'm betting the exact number doesn't matter that much.

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,108 Member
    Nice work.
    Have you been doing any weight training? I’m asking because of the flexed/relaxed pics. If so how long for abs what have you been doing?
    How do you want to look?
  • xMidox
    Nice work.
    Have you been doing any weight training? I’m asking because of the flexed/relaxed pics. If so how long for abs what have you been doing?
    How do you want to look?

I've been doing weight training for a few years but not continuously. However, I have been going to the gym for one year now regularly, maybe 4-5 days a week.

Yes, I do abs exercises at least twice a week. And by the way unfortunately all the photos are Flexed not relaxed hahahah

I want to look exactly as you can see but with a clear abs definition or to be around 13%-15% BF

• xMidox
    sijomial wrote: »
    Those types of BIA scales are often inaccurate, sometimes inaccurate all of the time, sometimes sporadically inaccurate. Especially if they are just two sensor models as then they aren't even attempting to guesstimate your BF% from your entire body's electrical resistance.
    If just foot sensors how lean or muscular your legs are makes a big difference. As does your hydration levels so consistency is needed.

Yes you can continue to get leaner if that's your wish, you should probably lose more slowly as you get more lean.
    You could also decide you are happy where you are as you look to be in a healthy BF% range.
    You might also benefit from a diet break at maintenance for a while if you do decide to continue to lose.

Thanks a lot for your valuable input.
    Another two questions for you please:
    on a scale 1-10 how much I should feel hungry during the day. sometimes I feel very hungry when I wake up, but not in a crazy way.

based on my data 172cm 39 years old, do you think reaching 60kg -62kg is too low for me? I know that according to BMI it is still in a healthy range, but what do you personally think?

Thanks!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited May 2022
    xMidox wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks a lot for your valuable input.
    Another two questions for you please:
    on a scale 1-10 how much I should feel hungry during the day. sometimes I feel very hungry when I wake up, but not in a crazy way.

based on my data 172cm 39 years old, do you think reaching 60kg -62kg is too low for me? I know that according to BMI it is still in a healthy range, but what do you personally think?

Thanks!

Hunger - as little as possible!
    It's quite common that as people get leaner hunger levels go up. Might also be a sign you need to take a maintenance break and then lose slowly. Losing weight slowly / very small calorie deficit helps but yes, some hunger is normally part of the game.

BMI - where your best weight might be in the wide BMI range is very personal. Partly on your overall build, partly on your choice of physique, partly on how muscular you are. I've always been happiest right at the top of the BMI healthy range but (mostly) my choice of physique has been to prioritise strength over getting lean. You really don't have to set a goal weight - you can just choose a direction and reassess as you go.

What I would say is that when you are already fairly lean small changes in either fat percentage or gaining muscle will make a far bigger visual difference compared to earlier in your journey. It's part of the reason people often fine tune their final physique by recomping over an extended period.
  • jeremiahfit2911
    jeremiahfit2911 Posts: 4 Member
    It’s not good to be in a deficit that long. Slowly raise calories to maintenance 100 a week. This will kick up your metabolism. Make sure you are eating enough protein 150g a day for your body weight. You will see amazing changes! Then you can cut again if you want, slowly decrease calories by 100 a week. Many people start out in a huge deficit and low protein that causes muscle loss. Are your strength training with weights?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    If you want to look good on the beach— you’re there!
    If you want to be a pro body builder, or just look like one— you’re far enough along to consult professionals.
    Just my 2 cents.

QFT. Another thing to consider is what weight/body composition is comfortable (and fun!) to maintain long term. Even professional body builders run a different program and have a different body composition in maintenance vs. competition prep.

I think it's @sijomial who has a great expression about making his way of eating fit his lifestyle, not making his lifestyle fit his way of eating. It's a great way to frame it and a worthwhile question to ponder. Long term, do you want a program/diet that fits the lifestyle you enjoy, or are you willing to create a lifestyle that conforms to a particular program/diet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    xMidox wrote: »
    Nice work.
    How do you want to look?

I've been doing weight training for a few years but not continuously. However, I have been going to the gym for one year now regularly, maybe 4-5 days a week.

Yes, I do abs exercises at least twice a week. And by the way unfortunately all the photos are Flexed not relaxed hahahah

I want to look exactly as you can see but with a clear abs definition or to be around 13%-15% BF

Those scales don't really work. Visually I'd put you around the 15% neighborhood. Unfortunately, clear ab definition requires pretty low body fat...in the right light I've been able to see mine at around 12%, but clear definition is around 10% which is not something I've ever been able to really maintain since I was about 22/23 years old.
  • neffybetty
    neffybetty Posts: 26 Member
    Good work, you look amazing!
  • xMidox
    It’s not good to be in a deficit that long. Slowly raise calories to maintenance 100 a week. This will kick up your metabolism. Make sure you are eating enough protein 150g a day for your body weight. You will see amazing changes! Then you can cut again if you want, slowly decrease calories by 100 a week. Many people start out in a huge deficit and low protein that causes muscle loss. Are your strength training with weights?

Yes, I am doing strength training with weights.
    Thanks for your comment.