Hello Friends

Options
Feel free to add me as a friend ☺️ So, I started out at 258 and I’m a 5’4 female. I need to lose about 100lbs to be in the healthy category. Im definitely ready to make this change and stick to it this time. However, this time I’m 30 and I’m really really really worried about loose skin!!! Im a mommy of 3 and two of those are twins. So I know I’m not ever gonna have a super flat toned tummy. Some of the stories I’ve seen though has me worried about a ton of excess skin. Surgery wouldn’t be an option for me I don’t think. Any advice?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Just start.

100 pounds loss and three kids will cause some loose skin, but you're young and a lot of it will tone up in time especially if you start a good full body exercise routine with some resistance/weight training.

Be the best version of you. It's going to be a good year before you have to worry about this and by then you'll just be so grateful to have lost the weight.

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Overweight with tight skin and serious health risks vs optimal weight with some loose skin with longevity in your future with fewer health complications and medications needed? A no-brainer! No need to worry about the possibility of loose skin. You've got this!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    It may be less than you think now - and less than you think at the point where you're only part way through loss.

My experience (losing weight at age 59-60 BTW) was that I looked worse partway to goal than at goal (because until most of the fat from an area depletes, the area just gets kind of squishy and droopy, but there's still enough subcutaneous fat conspiring with gravity to keep the skin stretched). Skin shrinkage starts when a given area loses enough fat that that gravitational effect isn't present, then it takes time to actually happen in itself.

After that squishy/droopy, I looked better as goal weight approached . . . and even better after some months in maintenance. My loose skin kept gradually shrinking until at least into year two of maintenance.

Two thoughts:

1. Go take a look at the "Success Stories" part of the Community, especially things with before/after pictures. A relevant example thread is this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories#latest

Also, the posts pinned in the "Most Helpful Posts" section there are good. Here's a direct link to that area:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300359/most-helpful-posts-success-stories-must-reads#latest

I'm not saying no one has loose skin, because it varies. I think it's super common, though, for even people with a lot of weight to lose to find that in the long run it's less than their worst imaginings. Pretty much everyone looks good in clothes, and many look good even in swimsuits and such.

2. As far as how to minimize loose skin, here's what I think: Genetics matter, and likely age does, too. That's the hand we're dealt, and it's unpredictable and pretty much unchangeable.

Beyond that, skin is an organ. The things that keep other organs healthy will also tend to keep skin healthy, which means elastic and more willing to adjust. These include:

* avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

People will say all kinds of things about creams, dry-brushing, etc., but personally I'm inclined to think those are mainly ways to pass the time while skin does pretty much what it was going to do anyway. Help a little? Maybe. Big help? I doubt it. But it can feel good to feel like we're doing *something*.

Try not to be too fearful along the way: Things will change, gradually, perhaps in unexpected ways. Keep the faith until you see where you end up after a few months at goal weight, at least. Some people, at the start of weight loss, like to start saving up a little at a time for loose-skin-removal surgery . . . then, if and when you find out it isn't a huge issue for you, you have the money for a nice vacation. 😉

Best wishes!
  • gregsbabe12
    gregsbabe12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and terrified of loose skin so been watching skin surgery videos to prepare. I have 120 to lose and know it will happen. I had four kids so that didn't help. I am taking collagen and hyaluronic acid pills and using strivectin and I have seen results. I know they say losing slow helps, cant go much slower lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I lost 97 starting at age 56. Nearly four years in, my skin has tightened well, except for extra skin around my abdomen.

God bless Lycra and high waistbands. Beats the hell out of surgery.

Nutrition and exercise have been the key, with patience being the guiding light.

My body is still changing, even after all this time. Lately, it’s my ribs not protruding as far (which came from years of obesity pushing them up and out), and my face doesn’t look as gaunt as it did for a while there.

I haven’t done any creams, no pills, no dry brushing. Just feed my body reasonably well and keep it mobile and hydrated.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just concentrate on how you feel, the knowledge that you are getting healthier, and how you look in clothes. The loos skin may or may not happen. There is really nothing you can do about it. Hopefully you won't get much loose skin. But even if you do, I bet you will feel better than you do now. Also, don't panic if you do see some loose skin - it can keep improving for up to 6 months after you loose weight, so even if you have some, it may go away in the future.