Metabolism/energy

Options
Any tips, suggestions on what to do to help with my energy levels, metabolism? Some days I feel great physically and emotionally and knockout a workout. Other days I struggle. Learning to deal with Plantar Fasciitis, and other physical issues was a challenge but the hardest one I found is energy. I'm 41, with a toddler and we all know they take up alot of our time, as does a full time job. Finding the time to actually workout has been a struggle but I MAKE the time, just sometimes I am too exhausted and don't feel I get a good workout in... I guess any movement is better than no movement.

Replies

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,554 Member
    Options
    sfblchk wrote: »
    Any tips, suggestions on what to do to help with my energy levels, metabolism? Some days I feel great physically and emotionally and knockout a workout. Other days I struggle. Learning to deal with Plantar Fasciitis, and other physical issues was a challenge but the hardest one I found is energy. I'm 41, with a toddler and we all know they take up alot of our time, as does a full time job. Finding the time to actually workout has been a struggle but I MAKE the time, just sometimes I am too exhausted and don't feel I get a good workout in... I guess any movement is better than no movement.

@sfblchk Isn't chasing a toddler exercise enough? :D I know I'm exhausted chasing my 3yo grandson. LOL Good luck on your journey. I also have PF and have recently invested in a pair of Vionics shoes. Best $$ I ever spent.

I learned a lot from this discussion. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10832183/damn-plantar-fasciitis/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be a "workout". Exercise should also not be of high intensity all of the time. When my kids were toddlers we would put them in the stroller and go for walks. My wife is a runner and she'd take them out in the jogging stroller a few days per week. I would take them on bike rides once or twice per week in the bike trailer. We all eventually graduated to family walks, family hikes, and family bike rides.

When I'm not specifically training for something, the vast majority of my exercise is recreational...not a "workout". Lots of trail riding and MTB...hiking with the family...family bike rides, etc. Most of the healthiest people I know don't really "workout" all that much if at all...they're just active people.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I can suggest a couple of things not to do, if you're currently doing them:

1. Set a really aggressive weight loss goal. Half a pound a week with enough energy to live your life is more sustainable than 2 pounds a week and dragging through the day (which burns fewer daily life calories, besides the misery). Many of us would suggest losing no faster than 0.5% of current body weight per week in general, especially for anyone with a busy or stressful life.

2. Doing intense exercise every day, or heavy strength exercise every day as a beginner (even if alternating body parts). Those things are fatiguing disproportionate to their benefits (no matter what the blogosphere may claim). Even elite athletes don't do intense exercise every day (with "intense" defined according to their fitness level, not mine). From a fitness and performance standpoint, high intensity is a condiment or side dish, not a routine meal. Relative beginners should go all low intensity all the time, until a base of fitness/endurance has been created (weeks to months). The current trendy "HIIT all the time" craze is destructive.

As far as things to do:

A. I'd prioritize good sleep quality/quantity over exercise, to the extent possible, if I had your lifestyle. Both good sleep and good exercise would be ideal, but the ideal isn't always practical.

B. Get decent overall nutrition on average, as much as practical: Enough protein, enough healthy fats, plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits. Don't do low carb if you find reducing carbs saps your energy (as it does for some); even if diabetic, managing moderate carbs can work for many. Carb level is a thing you can experiment with (within limits of any relevant health condition). Different people respond differently to carb level, with respect to energy and appetite.

C. Experiment with different eating timings/nutrient timings. This is a lower-probability thing, but matters for some. If you have times of day when you particularly slump, or days where you slump more than others when sleep/stress is similar, look at your food diary (and your exercise log) to see if you can see patterns.

I hope you find a solution!