BUFFET

Options
So I'm 111.4lbs (as of this morning), 5"3. I'm on maintenance, upped my calories from 1290 to 1390 this week. I knew I was going to a buffet today and I fasted, I worked out. Burned around 340 calories for the day (says the treadmill, it may have overestimated it. I had 3 plates full and 2 plates of dessert. Holy craaaaaaaaaaaap I am stuffed. This was my first buffet on maintenance I think it'll be the last. I thought I could eat as much as I did before, but then I may have over done it. I logged like 4000calories today. So it's a pound over, right? Easily gained a pound over night. Damn. I had to walk it off after, walked for an hour. Still full. I had pork belly (grilled with sauce), fish (3 long slices, steamed, grilled with sauces), chicken (4 cuts), roast beef (2 slices) I did have veggies with every plate! Raw ones with a bit of dressing. I also had soup tomato basil, didn't finish it though. I also had small pieces of cheese, 3 cubes. half a gluten free bread, 2 pitas. DESSERT WAS WHAT KILLED ME!!! I had like probably 3 cookies, cakes were small cheese cake, truffle cake, rice cake, ice cream, banana cake, cherry crumble.

4000cals sounds about right? yes? More maybe?

Funny though everyone was just putting food on their plate, eating casually. Just seeing it as food. I stared at my plate and all I was seeing was protein, carbs and fat. Hahahaha

It's okay to cut calories for the rest of the week right? I feel like I ate a weeks worth of food.

Replies

• Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You are probably better off counting the buffet day as a loss instead of trying to balance it out the rest of the week. I say that because your daily calorie level seems low anyway. You should just eat normal the rest of the week. Maybe you will gain a pound, maybe you wont. You can always just reduce your calories next week ( after you see if you gained any weight) to lose the pound you may have gained.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the reply!!! :)
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Those days happen. Use the overfull feeling afterwards as a reminder the next time the temptation comes up. I love me the local Chinese and sushi buffet. I had it the other day, ate three plates and felt like crap. I'll know better for next time. Much of that weight could have been sodium. Buffet food tends to have a lot of it. I always drink a ton of water after such a food trip.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    It's one meal on one day. Any damage it's done will only be temporary and will be fixed by you going back to your normal eating and exercise.

I'd just forget about it now and go back to what you've been doing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I'm 111.4lbs (as of this morning), 5"3. I'm on maintenance, upped my calories from 1290 to 1390 this week. I knew I was going to a buffet today and I fasted, I worked out. Burned around 340 calories for the day (says the treadmill, it may have overestimated it. I had 3 plates full and 2 plates of dessert. Holy craaaaaaaaaaaap I am stuffed. This was my first buffet on maintenance I think it'll be the last. I thought I could eat as much as I did before, but then I may have over done it. I logged like 4000calories today. So it's a pound over, right? Easily gained a pound over night. Damn. I had to walk it off after, walked for an hour. Still full. I had pork belly (grilled with sauce), fish (3 long slices, steamed, grilled with sauces), chicken (4 cuts), roast beef (2 slices) I did have veggies with every plate! Raw ones with a bit of dressing. I also had soup tomato basil, didn't finish it though. I also had small pieces of cheese, 3 cubes. half a gluten free bread, 2 pitas. DESSERT WAS WHAT KILLED ME!!! I had like probably 3 cookies, cakes were small cheese cake, truffle cake, rice cake, ice cream, banana cake, cherry crumble.

4000cals sounds about right? yes? More maybe?

Funny though everyone was just putting food on their plate, eating casually. Just seeing it as food. I stared at my plate and all I was seeing was protein, carbs and fat. Hahahaha

It's okay to cut calories for the rest of the week right? I feel like I ate a weeks worth of food.

Stop thinking short term and just go on as if the day never happened
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    In order to gain a pound you have to consume 3,500 calories over what you use in a day. With your exercise and normal calorie allowance I wouldn't say you should gain a pound. Like a lot of people here have already said, if it is the exception and not the rule you will be fine.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you are already eating low calories a day (1390 is pretty low) I wouldn't try to balance it out. Just call it a cheat day and the next time you are tempted, remind yourself how awful you felt after eating all of that food. I have a limit of one trip to the buffet line when I go to a buffet. That way, I only get what I really, really want to eat because I know I don't get a second trip. :tongue:
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You might have eaten that much but if you did you ate 3 times your normal calorie amount. No wonder you were miserable. Just eat normally for the rest of the week. There's nothing wrong with having an occasional blow out but I've found I really feel better if I keep it to a dull roar. I do eat at buffets but it's normally around 1000 calories now and not very often. Breakfast and dinner are light those days too with my normal exercise. So you gained a pound for a week. It's not a big deal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely someone that was just eating 1300/day can get down 4000 cals in one sitting. I suppose people with BED would be an exception to that.

You ate a lot of meat. That fills you up, and isn't really calorie dense. You probably ate closer to 2000.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Those days happen. Use the overfull feeling afterwards as a reminder the next time the temptation comes up. I love me the local Chinese and sushi buffet. I had it the other day, ate three plates and felt like crap. I'll know better for next time. Much of that weight could have been sodium. Buffet food tends to have a lot of it. I always drink a ton of water after such a food trip.

Yeah, it was my first buffet since maintaining and boy did I learn my lesson! Lol I did drink lots after!
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    It's one meal on one day. Any damage it's done will only be temporary and will be fixed by you going back to your normal eating and exercise.

I'd just forget about it now and go back to what you've been doing.

Okay, I will! *deep breath*
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Stop thinking short term and just go on as if the day never happened

THIS! Yes, I feel like I need to fix the situation ASAP! Like find the remedy. Okay, stop thinking short term, stop thinking short term.

Thank you!
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    In order to gain a pound you have to consume 3,500 calories over what you use in a day. With your exercise and normal calorie allowance I wouldn't say you should gain a pound. Like a lot of people here have already said, if it is the exception and not the rule you will be fine.

I hope it all evens out! I just need to get that in my stubborn head.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    If you are already eating low calories a day (1390 is pretty low) I wouldn't try to balance it out. Just call it a cheat day and the next time you are tempted, remind yourself how awful you felt after eating all of that food. I have a limit of one trip to the buffet line when I go to a buffet. That way, I only get what I really, really want to eat because I know I don't get a second trip. :tongue:

Hahaha that buffet experience was indeed a learning experience for me. I'm actually kind of traumatized I think. LOL I think in my mind I thought calories didn't exist then, it only dawned on my after my second plate of dessert. :explode:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    cheeseburger.jpg

Oooppsss...sorry, wrong Buffet...my bad.

So...ummm...yeah....uhhh....forget the day, think long term, one day won't make you fat, move on, do it again sometime soon just for kicks and giggles.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    You might have eaten that much but if you did you ate 3 times your normal calorie amount. No wonder you were miserable. Just eat normally for the rest of the week. There's nothing wrong with having an occasional blow out but I've found I really feel better if I keep it to a dull roar. I do eat at buffets but it's normally around 1000 calories now and not very often. Breakfast and dinner are light those days too with my normal exercise. So you gained a pound for a week. It's not a big deal.

The buffet just excited me! It was also difficult to log food with the buffet! Frustrating but yeah. Again, it was a learning experience.

A pound is a pound. I've lost it before, I can lose it again! I need to keep that in mind.

Thank you so much!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Don't get on the scale after the buffet.. or the morning after.. or after that... unless you don't mind seeing it go up BECAUSE of all of the sodium.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    It's unlikely someone that was just eating 1300/day can get down 4000 cals in one sitting. I suppose people with BED would be an exception to that.

You ate a lot of meat. That fills you up, and isn't really calorie dense. You probably ate closer to 2000.

I may have because of the desserts though!
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    cheeseburger.jpg

Oooppsss...sorry, wrong Buffet...my bad.

So...ummm...yeah....uhhh....forget the day, think long term, one day won't make you fat, move on, do it again sometime soon just for kicks and giggles.

LOL I might just do that! :P
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Don't get on the scale after the buffet.. or the morning after.. or after that... unless you don't mind seeing it go up BECAUSE of all of the sodium.

TRYING!!! I did weigh but ignored it and drank water. LOTS OF IT!