Just a small Rant

Options
I started the beginning of March, weighed in at 279 pounds. Today I am 269 pounds. Cut out all excess sugars, lower carbs, cardio 4 days a week. I am losing but Really slow. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day. I see people that have a lot less to lose, lose like 20 pounds in a week. Wish that were me lol I have weighed the same for a week now, hoping to have a big loss soon. I cant eat much less, well I can but then I am starving. Any thoughts?

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food, it's important to be accurate? How did you get your calorie goal? I don't think you're eating enough. I weigh about 10p pounds less and aim for 1500 calories a day.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to what other people are doing/achieving/saying is going down the rabbit hole. Set a realistic calorie target for YOU .. one based on your age, current weight, and losing a moderate amount ... cause you are not going to want to have your calories too low .. just low enough to lose a little ... Remember, as your weight goes down, your calorie allowance will also decrease .. and you don't want to find yourself on so low an amount that your end up going hungry to satisfy the low calorie diet ... that's a recipe for jumping ship.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    This reminds me of when I would join a lose-weight group, like at the Y or at work or at a gym ... and the leader would ask how much weight I wanted to lose in a month and I'd say '20 pounds' ... truth of it was though, that I'd be lucky to lose 8 pounds! ... and more often than not, those 4 weeks would fly by and my weight might have only changed by 2-4 pounds ... and that could be either way! ... So easy to miscalculate how much I was eating or what the true caloric intake was .. until I started weighing and measuring everything I ate and accurately logging and checking nutritional labels. Yeah, those labels ... be careful of how many servings a package of anything contains ... the nutritional value is for one serving but the package will likely contain more than that.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    People do often lose enormous amounts of weight very quickly at the beginning of a diet...water weight.

Basically, keep doing what you are doing and if you lose 0.5-1lb per week, you're doing great, and should keep doing what you are doing.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Not one single person has lost 20lb in a week. And you've lost (conservatively) 0.76lbs per week since you 'started'....That's great.

I mean a MONTH not a week, sorry about that!!

1. Thanks for the clarification because that was CRAZY.
    2. Still - my conservative calculation of your weight loss rate is great. There's no need for you to want it to happen faster than that. I know that's what most people want --- fast fast fast, as fast as possible....but that's not usually the best way.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I’ve been one of those people who lost quickly but then gained it back quickly. It is NOT what you want to do!

The way you’re doing it is the best. Yeah- it will take a year to lose 40 lbs. But if you think of this as a lifestyle change rather than a get leaner-faster routine, it will serve you much better.

I’ve read like a million posts on here and spoken to many people and also lost over 100 lbs myself. Slow but steady definitely wins this race because the prize doesn’t disappear a short time later
  • MaryFloNS
    MaryFloNS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started at 272 about a year and a half ago, I am now down to 220 the most important thing for me was sleep. In order for me to lose at a steady rate was to get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night. If I didn't then I would stay the same. Losing water gain overnight will let you see actual fat weight loss on scale.
  • michellelawson00
    michellelawson00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Gregsbabe...I can only speak for myself but I find that exercise makes a HUGE difference. Even walking just a little bit each day helps me lose. Can you move around more?
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! That's a very healthy rate of loss. Seems to me like you are doing well. I don't want to think about what I would have to do to lose 20 lbs in a month. Yikes!

I've been on my journey since the beginning of January and I am averaging a loss of about 6 lbs per month. I'm no expert but if you want to bump up your loss a bit I think you will need to increase your calorie deficit a bit, either by eating less calories or increasing your exercise. Not knowing your age or height it's more difficult to estimate. Maybe try doing net calories of 1400-1500 per day for a week or 2 and see what happens?

Just using my own experience as an example, I am 5'4", 60 years old and started at 230 lbs. When I set up my profile and goals I put my desired rate of loss at 1.5 lbs per week, so my calorie base was set at 1200 per day. I do low impact cardio 6-7 days per week for 30-60 mins per day and do light strength training 3x per week for about 15 mins per session. It took me a couple months to work my way up to my current exercise level. When I started I had to stick with seated workouts and slow walking. I eat back about 50-75% of my exercise calories so I average between 1350-1400 calories per day. I keep my carbs around 40% of my daily calories. So far I'm on target, averaging 1.5 lbs per week. I expect that to drop off one of these weeks as my BMR continues to decrease.

The first month was the hardest. Now I rarely feel hungry but when I do I snack on plain non-fat greek yogurt mixed with berries, veggies with hummus, or a veggie salad with some type of lean protein.

Wishing you all the best with your journey! Keep up the excellent work!
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just like how it takes MONTHS to gain weight, it takes MONTHS to lose weight PROPERLY. DON'T compare yourself to others, COMPARE AGAINST YOUR PREVIOUS SELF!