Men’s Health Month: Eating for Next-Level Fitness

Betty
Betty Posts: 8,812 MFP Staff
edited February 2023 in Food and Nutrition
78ctvt1we9mf.jpg
Eat to Improve Your Health & Athletic Performance

June is Men’s Health Month! Did you know the top health concerns for men today are mental health, energy, strength, and performance? That’s why MyFitnessPal is calling on men everywhere to start Eating for Next-Level Fitness. We partnered with Brett Singer, a registered sports dietitian, to offer helpful ways you can eat to achieve optimal health, fitness, and athletic performance. Follow us all month long on IG, Facebook, and our blog, then join the conversation.

Comment in the thread below:
  • What changes have you made to your diet or routine to improve your health & fitness?
  • What foods boost your energy levels?
  • What foods do you eat to fuel your workout or recovery?
  • What have you found that has worked for you in achieving your fitness goals?
Share your tips & inspire others!

Please Note: By commenting or replying in this thread, you acknowledge and agree to the use of your name, comments, replies, and/or entries, whether in whole or in part, by MyFitnessPal, including for the purpose of generating and distributing marketing materials to help inspire others. When posting, please follow our community guidelines. Any off-topic comments and disparaging remarks are subject to deletion.

Replies

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    The answers below are specific to 9-10% body fat male, it is not for everyone.
    What changes have you made to your diet or routine to improve your health & fitness?
    Since I work from home on principal level analytics, I get to enjoy a LOT of time preparing meals that help my brain circulate while preparing for the next strength training workout. LOTS of veggies, complex carbs, and adequate protein/fats.
    What foods boost your energy levels?
    I tend to enjoy yogurt, fruit, and nuts (macadamia, pistachio, pine) for energy. Veggies/lean protein keep my satiety and mood in check.
    What foods do you eat to fuel your workout or recovery?
    Typically I enjoy a LARGE carb meal the evening before I rest and workout in the morning.
    What have you found that has worked for you in achieving your fitness goals?
    Easy- consistency. We all hit bumps in the road, but knowing where you are at now and what you will be drives motivation and to reach new goals.
  • Marji70
    Marji70 Posts: 71 Member
    What changes have you made to your diet or routine to improve your health and fitness? No second helpings and eat sensibly.

What foods boost your energy levels? nuts…fruit

What foods do you eat to fuel your workout or recovery? Nothing in particular

What have you found that has worked for you in achieving your fitness goal? Watching intake and staying active.
  • mrdonnelly576
    mrdonnelly576 Posts: 1 Member
    This is a difficult question for me as I am addicted to fast food. I have joined a gym but lack the motivation to go regularly. I am seeing a dietician but lack self control to do what is suggested. So to answer this question is very hard.
  • trayhood
    trayhood Posts: 1 Member
    Lost a lot of weight these past few months(30lbs) since January by removing all flour (bread, pasta and as much processed sugars as I can. Its hard work! Almost attaining my goal of 165lbs but constantly fluctuating and not braking the 170 lbs mark. I’m working the keto/paleo eating guidelines. Anything ideas or hints to help. Thanks T
  • qik2bte
    qik2bte Posts: 1 Member
    hi
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    What changes have you made to your diet or routine to improve your health & fitness?
    Since the pandemic I've gotten a little lax in my nutrition...nothing terrible, but I'm not where I was a few years ago. I'm recommitting to more fruits and veggies and more fish and limiting my eating out.
    I've always felt best when I'm eating like I'm back in the islands...lots of fruit, veg, and fish.
    Nothing in particular. Most of my workouts and exercise are done during my lunch hour and I eat lunch afterwards at my desk. So whatever is for lunch that day.
    Just getting out and doing it and being consistent and disciplined. I often find signing onto an event of some kind is a good kick in the pants when I start to feel lazy.

• petegaymer2022
    petegaymer2022 Posts: 13 Member

As a type 2 diabetic (hereditary), but in a busy job where I'm on my feet a lot I realise (through hypo errors) to not go low carb but lower - so I swap out white carbs for seeded, wholemeal, brown or meals without any carbs. I now walk a lot more thanks to my job changing from a control room to site work, I try to cycle instead of using the car for work, and I've just rejoined a gym

I am a fan of effervescent drinks like Berocca to kick start my day, and fruit boosts my energy but I can't eat just an apple, orange etc, I like to put them with other stuff like smoothies or in yoghurts

I'm very basic - strong coffee before a workout, protein shake after

Small easy to achieve targets increasing bit by bit, and when I lose 7lbs I treat myself (clothes/movie/day out) :-)
  • brewtul
    brewtul Posts: 4 Member
    Since we are talking about long term, lifestyle changes, I have tried to change habits in a way that is sustainable. I don't think about dieting so much as a different way to eat. I eat pretty much what I want, but I very consciously control proportions. If I want pizza I might eat half a slice. 200 calories, not a big deal as long as you account for it during the rest of your day. If I want chips, I put one ACTUAL serving in a bowl and put the bag away. 140 calories, again no big deal. If I want a beer, Sweetwater 420 is 185 calories. Not a deal breaker, by any means. I rarely eat sugar or red meat (but can on occasion if I want to), I don't drink sweetened drinks (but unsweetened tea and flavored club soda are great if you get bored with water), I exercise vigorously 2 to 3 times a week. None of this is drastic. The goal is sustainable. So far, so good.
  • thethickening
    thethickening Posts: 1 Member
    Hey everyone looking to lose weight. Im not your average guy im 505lbs 6ft. So far what i have been doing is lifting weights 4 to 5 sets of 12 of compounds lifts. And started eating clean. I have been having troubles filling up my calories. And alot of days now its only been 1200 to 1500 calories. Is that fine. And any other tips will be great.
  • dannylewington18
    dannylewington18 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello Everyone, Just saying hi and hope we all succeed at our own personal goals and Smash them. Have a super day. Daniel
  • juanddg79
    juanddg79 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you Danny!!
    :)
  • Journeyjim
    Journeyjim Posts: 10 Member
    Hi, my journey towards health continues
  • Journeyjim
    Back on the wagon again
  • don893
    don893 Posts: 1 Member
    just started on here to focus the mind on some weight loss - any tips from people who are further down the road
  • Journeyjim
    Hi Don, would you like to support each other in weight loss
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member

Of course I am logging everything. Did that for a month or two while walking the dog 10,000 steps a day. Then, got a good trainer and worked out T/Th mostly weights. Kept walking. Started drinking more water and kids got me a water filter for Father’s Day. Now, I added Saturday workout with trainer to T/Th.

I like steal cut oats with whole milk and cinnamon, banana and walnuts. Then, lunch is usually a big salad with tuna in olive oil. Enjoying baked sweet potatoes and not really avoiding anything. Trying to increase protein macros to 24% daily. Not too hard to do if you try.

I typically don’t focus on eating around workouts, but focus more on warm-up, hydration and stretching.

What have you found that has worked for you in achieving your
    fitness goals?
    I think making friends that are also interested in fitness is important. Also, signing up for a challenge like Hiking up the Hancock helped kick start my fitness journey. Mostly a good trainer that pushes you, but helps decrease risk of new injury and overcomes past injuries.