Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Just ranting....................or am I?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    ve
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People who do this are not lazy....they are self-centered, entitled children who just assume someone else will clean up after them. They do not care if they are inconveniencing others, they are just doing what is convenient for them.
    Well I thought that too, but the worst would be teens if that was the case. In our gym, they all put their stuff back right. Kinda funny too because many of the teens I know there, I supervised at lunch time and they were slobs at throwing away their trash during lunch. Funny how a few years makes a difference.
    But yes, there are a few self centered people who disregard how to put stuff away correctly. And I'll immediately approach them if I feel they may not rerack or will leave things on the floor (like a step or mat).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Actually, I've found in general, the most entitled "children" to be older people, not teens. Particularly if they are older than the staff, and can therefore feel superior and question your authority.

They feel like it is the gym employees' job to pick up after them. They'll remind you that that's why they pay their membership dues. They'll remind you that THEY pay YOUR salary. They'll remind you that THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. They'll threaten to get you fired. They will tell you that YOU are the lazy one and you should DO YOUR JOB.

Can you tell I (briefly) worked in customer service? I can't deal with the general public anymore.
    I hear ya. But luckily in our gym, people seem to actually care because the majority basically not only rerack, but also use the wipes we provide to clean off seats, handles and benches when done.

I get the occasional reluctant member, but my approach is usually one where I let them know that not everyone can lift off plates off bars and that they may injure themselves doing it
    and that they are deprived of using equipment they also pay a memebership for. That's usually has them feeling less entitled and more cooperative.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    The owner of my primary gym is super strict about putting *kitten* back where it belongs. There are signs everywhere to put the weights and bars in the correct places, numbers facing out, etc...if he ever comes in and finds stuff out of place, he will pull up security camera footage to figure out who did it and will send them a "gentle reminder" via text. So it is VERY rare for anything to be out of sorts in there.

In the gym I use when I have to (due to my primary gym having limited hours on Sundays), on the other hand...it's like a bunch of toddlers were turned loose in a toy store. Crap is all over the place, completely unorganized.
    Yeah, I belonged to a gym that did the same in the beginning of my bodybuilding years. I got so used to it, I even cleaned up without working there.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People who do this are not lazy....they are self-centered, entitled children who just assume someone else will clean up after them. They do not care if they are inconveniencing others, they are just doing what is convenient for them.
    Well I thought that too, but the worst would be teens if that was the case. In our gym, they all put their stuff back right. Kinda funny too because many of the teens I know there, I supervised at lunch time and they were slobs at throwing away their trash during lunch. Funny how a few years makes a difference.
    But yes, there are a few self centered people who disregard how to put stuff away correctly. And I'll immediately approach them if I feel they may not rerack or will leave things on the floor (like a step or mat).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Am I reading this correctly? You approach people based on your "feeling" (assumption? based on whether you think they work hard enough or are lazy?) about whether they "may not" or "will" do things -- you're basically chastising people for things they haven't done yet that you assume they will do based on the way they look or the way they work out?
    No I approach people to put things away when they don't. I "assume" that they don't take the extra time to do things right/better in their workouts/diet/regimen in reflection of how they may put things away in the gym. That's just my opinion. My observation is that our most fit people ALWAYS put their stuff away and clean up (even if they use chalk by wiping everything off after). So I DON'T automatically assume people are just lazy because they are unfit. People start unfit to get fit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    zehbf7n0v55d.png

Mother's Day at your gym
    👌