Calorie goal

Options
It's frustrating that some days it feels like I eat wayyy too much and I still can't reach my calorie goal for the day ๐Ÿ˜’ I'm really trying to get them in but I feel like I'm going to gain the weight back if I eat when not hungry. I try to do exercises at least 3 days a week but this calorie issue is really getting to me.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I get frustrated about that too. What you could do is keep some chopped walnuts on hand. 15 grams is about 100 calories and they're really good for you. It's what usually pushes me over the edge.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating that some days it feels like I eat wayyy too much and I still can't reach my calorie goal for the day ๐Ÿ˜’ I'm really trying to get them in but I feel like I'm going to gain the weight back if I eat when not hungry. I try to do exercises at least 3 days a week but this calorie issue is really getting to me.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

IME, hunger and calorie needs are somewhat related, but not tightly linked. In other words, I can feel hungry when I'm well over or well under goal calories: The main variable at play is how filling my particular food choices are for me. I can be full on calorie-efficient foods that are filling to me, but still under calories. Or, I can eat many, many calories of non-filling calorie-dense foods (candy, say) and still feel hungry.

From that perspective, I feel like the bolded can be a misperception.

We're all individuals, and individuals differ. Personally, I do best - did best during weight loss - when I strove to stay fairly close to my estimated calorie goal.** A single day here or there when I was not hungry, ate a little less, was not a big deal. But if that started to be a pattern, it would usually come back to bit me eventually, in a compensatory over-goal eat-fest.

** I did even better when I had enough eating/weight loss logging data to adjust my starting-estimate calorie goal based on my individual data, rather than just default believing the original starting estimate.

Overall, I think what might help you is to pay thoughtful attention to what foods you find filling, and what circumstances may trigger you to feel hungry or full (separate from food choice or food timing). For example, some common things are to feel more hungry on a day when the previous night's sleep quality/quantity has been sub-par, or when stress levels are high. Some people feel more hungry or full after certain types of exercise (same day, or next day). If you pay attention to how you feel, and think about the situation, you may be able to see personal patterns that help you adjust.

Certainly food choices or food timing can affect feeling full (or hungry), too. Again, noticing personal patterns can be useful. The specific solutions will differ for everyone, but this kind of self-monitoring is how I learned that I need a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, or things got difficult later in the day. (In contrast, some other people do better if they skip breakfast altogether! It's quite individual!)

As the poster above suggested, being well short of your calorie goal but feeling full, if it happens more than rarely, would be a good time to include some calorie-dense but less-filling food, such as nuts, seeds, peanut butter, a little more olive oil or butter on veggies or whatever (of used in cooking), some avocado, or something like that.

I think you can figure out some good strategies, if you're willing to do some self-monitoring and self-examination of patterns. The food diary can be a really good tool, in noticing those patterns!
  • cherylscott4
    cherylscott4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't give up; you can do this. I have set myself on a schedule.
  • kjratliff55
    kjratliff55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Since you are working out 3 times a week I suggest adding a Protein Shake for any day you are short on your calorie goal.
  • jgoldian47
    jgoldian47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    gosh i wish i had that problem
    its so easy for me to overeat calories, even if im not hungry lol. I just love food and eating itself. I easily gain fat and muscle and my body seems to love its carbs haha
  • radosuaf
    radosuaf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have te same problem, too ;). I'm usually dying of hunger...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!