Any other teachers struggle when they leave their highly structured environment for the summer?

Options
amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
edited May 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I always hear how people find the summer to be an easier time to lose...a nd it is just not the case for me. I am teacher, guided by a bell schedule that literally guides all decision making...even when I get to pee! So summer, I feel like a feeder fish! Also the days are longer, and it is just more time to eat! I do love that I get to move more. But any tips are appreciated.

Replies

• Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. I am nervous about school getting out for the summer, although I am also very much looking forward to the much needed break. I tend to get a lot more steps in when I am at school than when I am at home. My plan as of right now is to meal prep for the week to stay on track and I am going to try and get 30 minutes of exercise a day. I hope I can put myself on a schedule so that I can stay on track. But even so, it's going to be an adjustment. I would love some insight from others as well.
  • amfmmama
    Options
    I am with you on this. I am nervous about school getting out for the summer, although I am also very much looking forward to the much needed break. I tend to get a lot more steps in when I am at school than when I am at home. My plan as of right now is to meal prep for the week to stay on track and I am going to try and get 30 minutes of exercise a day. I hope I can put myself on a schedule so that I can stay on track. But even so, it's going to be an adjustment. I would love some insight from others as well.

Meal planning will be key. I have done intermittent fasting in the past, nothing drastic, 16:8 and that has helped be stay in a calorie deficit.
  • vsgjeanna
    vsgjeanna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is the first summer in a while that I am going to be really focusing on diet and exercise. My last day is the 6th and I can't wait to just be home. I think I need to sit down and come up with a realistic schedule of the things I need and want to do each day. I do think if I spent some time on the weekend meal prepping and having it ready in the fridge that would help me be more successful. My main struggle right now is being motivated to exercise. I am hoping once I am home everyday I can do a Walk Away the Pounds workout or go walking on the track at our gym.
  • Jaceface27
    Jaceface27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My weekends set me back in the worst way over the summer (hanging out with people means drinking some white claws that leads to poor eating choices.

Then it takes the week for me to get back to normal and the cycle repeats.

Eating the same breakfast daily does seem to help. I meal prepped for lunches last week, and that seemed to help too. So I think that means I need to map out my meals and have will power. Easier said than done!

Any good tips you've encountered?
  • amfmmama
    Options
    vsgjeanna wrote: »
    This is the first summer in a while that I am going to be really focusing on diet and exercise. My last day is the 6th and I can't wait to just be home. I think I need to sit down and come up with a realistic schedule of the things I need and want to do each day. I do think if I spent some time on the weekend meal prepping and having it ready in the fridge that would help me be more successful. My main struggle right now is being motivated to exercise. I am hoping once I am home everyday I can do a Walk Away the Pounds workout or go walking on the track at our gym.

I have been really trying to get the gym for cardio and strength training, but lately my kids schedule paired with mine have made it difficult. So I have been walking the dog for 3-4 miles and I am burning similar calories. During covid the dog park was closed so we did this a lot and it really worked for me. Tell me about this Walk Away the pounds workout!
  • amfmmama
    Options
    @vsgjeanna tell me about the Walk Away the Pounds workout!
  • vsgjeanna
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    vsgjeanna wrote: »
    I have been really trying to get the gym for cardio and strength training, but lately my kids schedule paired with mine have made it difficult. So I have been walking the dog for 3-4 miles and I am burning similar calories. During covid the dog park was closed so we did this a lot and it really worked for me. Tell me about this Walk Away the pounds workout!

Walk Away the Pounds used to be a video workout program that has now moved to YouTube. Leslie Sansone is the creator. Her page on YouTube has so many videos of varying levels. They aren't just boring walk in place videos. A friend of mine said she burned as many calories in one video than she did when she ran 2 miles. Here is the link to her YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/LeslieSansonesWalkatHome
  • vsgjeanna
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    @vsgjeanna tell me about the Walk Away the Pounds workout!

Walk Away the Pounds used to be a video workout program that has now moved to YouTube. Leslie Sansone is the creator. Her page on YouTube has so many videos of varying levels. They aren't just boring walk in place videos. A friend of mine said she burned as many calories in one video than she did when she ran 2 miles. Here is the link to her YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/LeslieSansonesWalkatHome
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and feel your pain! When I'm off, I always feel like I can do it later and then later never comes! I'm not of until July, but my plan is to still workout early. I'm not planning on seeing the alarm, but workout will be first thing.
  • amfmmama
    Options
    @vsgjeanna Thank you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    I'm also a teacher and feel your pain! When I'm off, I always feel like I can do it later and then later never comes! I'm not of until July, but my plan is to still workout early. I'm not planning on seeing the alarm, but workout will be first thing.

Working out first is key for me. I find that anything can happen to get in your way once the day gets started...so just get it done. If you have time later, you can do something else! Since you work at a school...do you have access to a gym/weight room?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    funny enough, i do BETTER!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So, I ate half my calories for the day before 12:30! Today was my first unscheduled day. I got to get on a schedule!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    So, I ate half my calories for the day before 12:30! Today was my first unscheduled day. I got to get on a schedule!

I definitely find it helpful to set an eating schedule. I eat my 3 meals with no snacking. But one could "schedule" a snack in. The times I eat are flexible. The number of times I eat are absolutely not. Otherwise it's way too easy to just fall into constant eating all day/evening long.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    My first thought was, "How about setting a rigid schedule and use your phone to give you audible alerts?"

I'm thinking maybe someone already thought of that, and I didn't read all the replies.
  • amfmmama
    Options
    My first thought was, "How about setting a rigid schedule and use your phone to give you audible alerts?"

I'm thinking maybe someone already thought of that, and I didn't read all the replies.

That's a good idea !
  • amfmmama
    Options

This is what I am talking about! I do the same thing! I think that working out in the morning or taking a walk, does sort of set the tone for the day. I am still in school, but I am thinking that I will try to eat later in the day, like a 16:8 intermittent fasting schedule.